Thread: programming selection

Just burned his ISO

Default programming selection

I'm new to programming and was wondering the best language to start with. After searching I've read to start with python. However, I was wondering if there is a valid enough reason to start somewhere else.

Just burned his ISO

Everyone here will have their own opinions on which programming language to start with and there isn't any valid reason for you to chose one over another. Python is quite forgiving compared to other languages such as perl and personally I picked python up quite easily. If you do chose to learn python, the O'Reilly books would be a good place to start.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Habanos Cohiba View Post
    I'm new to programming and was wondering the best language to start with. After searching I've read to start with python. However, I was wondering if there is a valid enough reason to start somewhere else.
    It is a matter of individual choice much like the choice to get out of bed in the morning. Take a look at a list of languages and read up on the pros and cons of each one and then maybe take one out for a "test-drive" a little hello-world.
    Then if you like it stick with it.

Is there a security related coding project in the above post?
    Thread moved
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

That kind of depends how you define "best"...
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Only advice I would give (as a programmer) DO not pick:
    Java, .Net, anything on Rails etc.
    as your first programming language.
    C,C++, Python etc are all good choices.
    Some popular languages like Java or .NET hide from you how everything works, like memory management etc.

For programmers I always recommend C/C++ because later you can pick up Java in no time at all.

Sin-cerely,
    Trol