Thread: Problem connecting BT4 to wep network

Just burned his ISO

Default Problem connecting BT4 to wep network

Ive been using backtrack for a while now, and thus far have been able to solve all of my problems by looking either on these forums or elswhere for the answers, this however has me a little stumped.

Ive been able to successfully connect to my WPA2 encrypted network with no problems using wpa_suppliment and dhclient.

However my neighbours network (which i have permission to use! before you ask!) which is WEP encrypted is giving me problems.

I can connect to the network, and literally for the first couple of seconds or so i can load webpages etc, however then it just stops working, even though everything else suggests i am still connected to the network. (interface up, ip assigned, netmask etc...) When i disconnect and reconnect the same thing happens, it works for a few seconds then stops...

All i can think is that maybe i am too far away from the ap? Like i said, it is my neighbours, but the power seems to be at a reasonable level, and for the few seconds that it does work, it seems to work quite quickly.

could anybody shed any light on this?

thanks in advance

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdaddy View Post
    Ive been using backtrack for a while now, and thus far have been able to solve all of my problems by looking either on these forums or elswhere for the answers, this however has me a little stumped.

Ive been able to successfully connect to my WPA2 encrypted network with no problems using wpa_suppliment and dhclient.

However my neighbours network (which i have permission to use! before you ask!) which is WEP encrypted is giving me problems.

I can connect to the network, and literally for the first couple of seconds or so i can load webpages etc, however then it just stops working, even though everything else suggests i am still connected to the network. (interface up, ip assigned, netmask etc...) When i disconnect and reconnect the same thing happens, it works for a few seconds then stops...

All i can think is that maybe i am too far away from the ap? Like i said, it is my neighbours, but the power seems to be at a reasonable level, and for the few seconds that it does work, it seems to work quite quickly.

thanks in advance
    Yeah like we are going to believe that you have permission. I mean we have never heard that one before. Ohh wait the idiot's corner is full of such things.
    I tell you what get a signed statement from your neighbor stating such and then get it notarized and scan it and send it to us and then maybe we can help you.

Furthermore if you have a network why would you want to use your neighbors?
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

thanks in advance
    Why not ask your neighbor what is wrong? It's their network, they should have some insight into the problem.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Ha its a fair reaction i suppose i can see how it sounds. In all seriousness though, my neighbour is a coursemate of mine, and he is just as interested to see what is possible as i am (were both second year computing students). We both knew that his WEP was insecure to anybody that wanted to break it (as we did), but if the network just drops out for outsiders immediately after connecting then does that even matter? Or was it an issue with my connection method...I was just trying to diagnose where the problem lay. Thats all.

I appreciate that you guys get a lot of people abusing the information that can be found on these pages but we're not all like that you know.

A signed and notorized statement? Really man? Jeesus.

A signed and notorized statement? Really man? Jeesus.
    We don't really expect you to produce a notarised statement, thats really just archangel.amael's colourful way of telling you that we are going to find it very difficult to believe that you actually have your neighbors permission to do this. We hear variations on this theme so often that basically any post that includes the terms "WEP" and "neighbor" triggers off our "I just downloaded BT to get free Internet" detectors and once that happens its very difficult to convince us otherwise.

Anyway, Id suggest you try connecting from BackTrack from inside your neighbors house (to rule out issues with the signal being degraded by something or from being too weak to reach you). Do it from the same location where your neighbor connects from. If that works then perhaps we can make some other suggestions as to what the problem may be.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.