Thread: sniff router password

Default sniff router password

hi,

i'm wondering if there is another way to get the router password instead ob bruteforing the router. So is it possible to sniff a day long traffic only on the router, so when I would log on the router from my brothers laptop that i could catch the password and username via wireshark or sth. else?

thx

It is hard to interpret your grammar.

If someone logs in to the router and you sniff the traffic then you will likely get the password. Many consumer level routers do not use encrypted channels when authorizing. So yes, if you catch the password on the line then you don't need to brute force it.

I mean, what do i have to do for only capturing the login username and password on its own. I dont want to caputure all the other data,only the login. Is there a filter which makes it possible? What programm is the best to use?

thx

Just burned his ISO

I would suggest using ettercap. You can filter for certain ports such as 23/telnet and with the 'quiet' option only the username and password will be displayed/logged.

I would start by browsing packets in Wireshark. Filter so that the only packets you are browsing have a destination IP equal to your router and whatever port the authentication service lives on (probably port 80).