Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this even possible??

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Shad0w99 View Post
    The pwnbone? You think that's the best way to go about it? I already have the Alfa 1000mw which I'm thinking is sufficient enough? Define "high quality cabling"?

Almost got arrested?.. So you obviously haven't learned how to get away with stuff properly.. that's the first thing we learn!

If it doesn't work like that, how does it work then!! Don't worry, As you can tell.. I don't get discouraged..The house is pretty much done with and no longer resemble a house! Besides, you always gotta do new things..otherwise you will be like those city people - doing pretty much the same things day after day, year after year...Now we don't want that, do we!!

Thank you
    It's pretty obvious that you don't even have a clue about the very basics of what you're doing. You're under the impression that if you just throw more power at the problem, the problem will go away. This is by no means the solution when it comes to radio communications.

As I said, there's a lot of calculations involved in what you're trying to do. If you're not even going to make an inkling of an effort on your own to do the appropriate research, why should anyone here help you out?

4.2 miles across uneven terrain with obstacles is by no means an easy link to complete. Now why don't you tell us the real reason why you don't want to go the VPN route and insist on using something that you'll never be able to get working?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Yes, I was under the impression that if I throw more power at it, it would be more powerful. So this is not true with radio communications? So what factor decides range if not power, besides the terrain itself?

What are these calculations? Where do they come into play? Is it in the construction or something else? I don't know what "appropriate research" is but I was under the impression that this was research. I was "searching" and it lead me to this site and I ask questions and read stuff.

If there were any "special" or "real" reasons I wanted to give, I would have given them by now.

Thank you

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Shad0w99 View Post
    Yes, I was under the impression that if I throw more power at it, it would be more powerful. So this is not true with radio communications? So what factor decides range if not power, besides the terrain itself?

What are these calculations? Where do they come into play? Is it in the construction or something else? I don't know what "appropriate research" is but I was under the impression that this was research. I was "searching" and it lead me to this site and I ask questions and read stuff.

If there were any "special" or "real" reasons I wanted to give, I would have given them by now.

Thank you
    Fresnel Zone and link budget would be two things to start with. Someone else mentioned you should be googling for "long distance" wifi. There's several things that determine range other than power. Antenna Gain for one, quality coax for another. Not much point in pumping large wattage in to shitty cable.

Also, since you're not a HAM, you're probably under other restrictions for EIRP.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

First, can you drop all the damned exclamation points? Believe it or not, normal punctuation works just fine. Thank you.

Second, as was previously noted by Streaker69, a VPN is the preferred method for tying two networks together. In addition to a much higher level of security, a VPN is not going to be susceptible to RF interference or weather problems.

Third, RF communications require calculations, by their very nature. If you're not willing to learn to do it the right way, then you shouldn't be doing it. A distance of 4 miles isn't difficult to do, but the trees are going to be an issue, as is the RF LOS. The math isn't difficult. Anyone who passed eighth-grade algebra should be able to apply the required formulas and derive the needed link budget.

Finally, if you don't set up the RF network correctly you can potentially injure yourself or others, as RF can be dangerous, if you exceed certain power levels. Also, if you don't make the network conform to legal power levels, you can get the FCC coming after your butt. It doesn't particularly matter if you're out in the countryside or in a city. Amateur communication in the ISM band are primary, and computer networking (802.11) communications are secondary. If you exceed the power levels for the band, and are not licensed, you will bring the wrath of the local Hams down upon you, and they will not hesitate to call the FCC. One other piece of information you should know: FCC fines start at $10k per day.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

go pickup a copy of "WiFi Toys" ... it is a great project book for this kind of thing.

we built a fairly long range system for an event using the methods in that book.

it worked pretty darn well too.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12