Thread: windows boot error after bt4 usb use

Just burned his ISO

Default windows boot error after bt4 usb use

I wouldn't say I'm new to any of the *nix os but,
    I put bt4 on a usb via unetboot.
    which doesn't have a swapfile nor persistent changes ok fine.
    I was adding those files/options and wham, when I went to reboot
    into win vista x64 I got the letter L and 01010101 about 7 lines deep.(without the usb os plugged in)
    I am unable to boot into windows even after I tried changing my boot options in bios.
    I didn't change nor did I edit my MBR on my box but, I did change the it on my thumb drive.
    My question is what happened and how can this be fixed?
    any help would be greatly appreciated!!

....if this is the incorrect thread I'm sorry I've been racking my brain for hours.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnny6guns View Post
    I'm sorry I've been racking my brain for hours.
    Me too, because I am wondering if your post is Haiku with the formatting.

Any rate you might also want to look at the Ubuntu forums for help.
    Normally the use of unetbootin will not cause any problems with the underlying OS. So I am wondering if you mounted a windows drive and then shutdown BT before "unmounting" the drive. This might have caused a problem but I doubt even that.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

If this happens when you don't have the USB plugged in then I wonder if you inadvertently selected your Vista drive when using unetbootn. This very well would have messed with your Vista installation.

Did this possibly happen? Can you plug the USB into a different computer and see if there is indeed BT installed on it?

Just burned his ISO

Default usb

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    If this happens when you don't have the USB plugged in then I wonder if you inadvertently selected your Vista drive when using unetbootn. This very well would have messed with your Vista installation.

Did this possibly happen? Can you plug the USB into a different computer and see if there is indeed BT installed on it?
    it is possible but i think it stems from the initrd,what may have happened is that I correctly installed bt4 to usb, but during boot with persistent changes may have altered my MBR while creating the savechanges without a partition.
    unetboot doesn't creat those from what I understand.
    if this post doesnt make any sense its because Ive been up all night with my kid. thanks for the posts and help!