Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XP SP2 Firewall On I guess this computer is safe exploits don't work

Just burned his ISO

Default XP SP2 Firewall On I guess this computer is safe exploits don't work

I have several computers in the house and my xp machine with sp2 and the firewall on seems secure. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems as long as the firewall is on none of the payloads seem to get through. I have tried most exploits and all the payloads and the only time anything worked was if then firewall was on. I'm an IT Admin for a large construction company and I know I can just update all the machines but I would love yo know if any of these exploits do work if the firewall is on.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

It might be helpful if you would tell us what exploits you are talking about and where you got the code from.
    Furthermore some exploit code contains purposeful mistakes in the code so that it won't work if you don't know how to fix said code.
    See also
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/new...ad-thread.html
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

If your exploits do not work, that means that there are no open ports on your XP machine. SP2 is not enough.

Only when you update to SP3, then you are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by portal View Post
    Only when you update to SP3, then you are safe.
    You are joking right?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    You are joking right?
    I think he forgot to add, if you upgrade to SP3 and then never connect the machine to anything, then you are safe.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

I know this is not a windows based forum, with the few posts i have i will not talk about malware in such a way that disrespects the rules..

Windows i think we all agree is 'not very good', including its firewall. Bypassing it is VERY easy. SP3 will not give you the security i think you are looking for.

The best way to keep your system protected is to install a third party firewall (far too many to mention)

Just so you know your system will/would be exploitable if you was running solely windows firewall

Messsy..

Hmm, I made a mistake there.. I meant that when you install SP3, then you're SAFER. But ofcourse not 100% safe.

With SP3 installed, the attacker has to take much more effort to exploit the system.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by portal View Post
    Hmm, I made a mistake there.. I meant that when you install SP3, then you're SAFER. But ofcourse not 100% safe.

With SP3 installed, the attacker has to take much more effort to exploit the system.
    SP3 is still vulnerable to ms08_067_netapi, it doesn't get much easier than that.

Firewalling is very useful though, stops that kind of stuff happening, means you need to make more of an effort.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I think he forgot to add, if you upgrade to SP3 and then never connect the machine to anything, then you are safe.
    Yep, that's right. (As long as your definition of not ever connecting anything to the machine also includes removable storage devices as well as networking devices.)

Probably best just to not plug anything in to it at all. And maybe leave it turned off as well....
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Yep, that's right. (As long as your definition of not ever connecting anything to the machine also includes removable storage devices as well as networking devices.)

Probably best just to not plug anything in to it at all. And maybe leave it turned off as well....
    I have an WinNT 3.51 machine that's perfectly safe. It's sitting in a closet, with no power. 100% safe from hackers.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast