Thread: Final stage of WPA hack - can't open a dictionary!

Default Final stage of WPA hack - can't open a dictionary!

Hey folks, this is my first post and Im hoping to get some advice for the issue I'm having with the WPA attack using BackTrack 3.

I have successfully carried out the initial steps of the WPA attack. When I get to the last stage - using aircrack-ng command to work the handshake file against a dictionary - I get stuck. I specify the .txt file's location, but it simply won't open the file, or any other text file.

Here is what I do:
    aircrack-ng wpa-01.cap -w system:/media/hda1/dictionary.txt
    Here is the error I get:
    fopen (dictionary) failed: no such file or dictionary... ...please speciy a dictionary file (option -w)

Why won't it open? Does the dictionary file need to be in a particular format, such as .lst or.dict, or .txt can be used? Does it matter that my hard drive is NTFS and does it matter that the text file is of Windows origin?

Finally, is it possible to capture a handshake in BT3, but use a dictionary on it in Windows?

Any help appreciated guys.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Please post in the correct section ( as per the rules you agreed to ) in addition, try looking at some of the stickies and the search function.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Developer

your file path is wrong

aircrack-ng -w /media/hda1/dictionary.txt wpa-01.cap

Try that

Yes, you should be able to crack in Windows if you captured the handshake in BT3. As long as your capture file is in pcap format then many tools will read that.

I can't help you load the dictionary, I have no clue what descriptor syntax you are using to reference the file (system:/ ?). Try copying the dictionary to your home directory and referencing by ~/dict.txt. The dictionary should just be a newline separated listing of words.

Wow, this forum is truly helpful.

Firstly, PureHate - your solution worked like a charm, I simply had the filepath wrong - the "system:" part had no business in that command. The ironic thing is, now that it works, I tried it with a 3mb Webster dictionary and it took about 30 minutes. I am too scared to even think how long it would take to go through your own and brilliant "PureH@tes Wordlist".

Secondly, mikec, you my friend have pointed me in the right direction - pcap files are easily opened in aircrack-ng for Windows! So only the handshake capturing part needs to be done from BT.

So, thank you both for your expertise. Problem solved