Thread: RT2870 works in bt3 but not in bt4

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy RT2870 works in bt3 but not in bt4

Hi,
    I'm using Back Track for about three days. First a started with Back Track 4 with many problems. After a while I tried out Back Track 3, just to see what happen. BT3 find both of my network-adapters. My integrated 2200 BG support not all injection-methods so i try the RT2870-USB-dongle (D-Link DWA 140), which works fine. After starting BT3 I needed around 2 hours to crack my WEP-encryption.
    After that I try to load many drivers for the RT2870-dongle. But I can't get the full functionality which I have had in BT3. With some drivers AP's are shown, with some not. With some drivers I could switch in monitor mode, with some not.
    The best choice was the one from the Ralink Tech Homepage (www . ralinktech . com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html), which was able to switch in monitor mode and see all available AP's.
    Linux is also a new world for me, but with the commands, which I need, I'm familiar today. (E.g. modprobe, rmmod, ..., iwconfig, ifconfig, ..., airmon-ng, airodump-ng, ..., and shell-commands)

Can I copy the driver from BT3 to BT4? Is there an other driver which I can use?

I tried to to tar the driver-folder, but this don't work. Installing drivers from the internet is no problem. The only problem is that they don't work as one from BT3.

Did any one have an idea to help me?

Greets

Just burned his ISO

I have the same card as yours. RT2870 USB is not compatible with bt

Just burned his ISO

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ibeking View Post
    I was able to get a generic RT2870 USB wireless adaptor working by doing the following.

Download the driver source from ralinktech(would post link but the spam filter is preventing me from doing so)
    tar -zxvf 2009_0521_RT2870_Linux_STA_V2.1.2.0.tgz
    cd 2009_0521_RT2870_Linux_STA_V2.1.2.0
    vi README_STA (read this through entirely)
    point to /usr/src/linux for the PC linux src variable in the make file, and set the appropriate vars from n to y.
    vi Makefile

then run
    make; make install; echo "rt2870sta" >>/etc/modules

to manually load the driver run
    insmod rt2870sta.ko
    or
    modprobe rt2870sta.ko

now you should be able to run
    iwconfig ra0
    airmon-ng

sorry if this is too vague, but if you read the README_STA file it tells you pretty much everything you need to get this working.

Quote Originally Posted by ibeking View Post
    indeed you are wrong, i've written the driver for compatibility in bt4, search the forum for rt2870, you'll find the thread with my driver (currently it has 3 pages)

make sure your device id is in rt2870.h and it should work fantastically

Just burned his ISO

Default n3 from Rokland, does not work RT2870 BT3

Please help me!

I have this one: h t t p ://rokland.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=336

It have RT2870 chipset.

I installed the driver from the driver CD.

I tried on Back Track 3.
    The Back Track 4 does not work well with me.
    I download an another kernel.lzm from here: h t t p ://forum.aircrack-ng.org/index.php?topic=4526.msg25504
    but does not work!!!!!!

I start the airmon-ng, and it can't find any connection, only one channel.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Just burned his ISO

I have an n3 also and I posted w/o seeing this thread. If someone is able to help me I'll go back to this thread and link it. If anyone gets this working in bt4 pm me if you feel like helping a noob. I've used BT3 since the beta stages but I'm still going to consider myself a noob.

I can't get the driver from ralinktech website. I search and search and find nothing. could anyone send me a link to 2009_0521_RT2870_Linux_STA_V2.1.2.0.tgz? I found links but it won't load the page.

Just burned his ISO

Hallo popo,

here is the link, just search in google and you will find it.

h t t p:// w w w . m e d i a f i r e . c o m /?wdfdtc5imdk

If You can not download it, I can send it to You by email. Let me know.