Thread: need help on boot when i start my laptop

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation need help on boot when i start my laptop

Title :need help on boot when i start my laptop

hi there im using a hp pavilion dv5 1234 ca and i installed backtrack 4 on my computer im having an issue when i boot my computer i see ubuntu and in other os i see vista im using windows 7

my question is can i delete this boot processe and assing a key like f7 to boot

my second question is how can i uninstall backtrac

and my last question how can i edit the booting order (when you start you have some second to wait can i place my windows 7 to start )

ps:sorry im having difficulties in english

Default Re: need help on boot when i start my laptop

Quote Originally Posted by viewtifuljoe View Post
    Title :need help on boot when i start my laptop

hi there im using a hp pavilion dv5 1234 ca and i installed backtrack 4 on my computer im having an issue when i boot my computer i see ubuntu and in other os i see vista im using windows 7

my question is can i delete this boot processe and assing a key like f7 to boot

my second question is how can i uninstall backtrac

and my last question how can i edit the booting order (when you start you have some second to wait can i place my windows 7 to start )
    1. Don't need "Title" in your post, there is a title for a reason.
    2. Are you sure it is "vista" you are seeing or the Windows 7 bootloader? (try clicking into it to find out)
    3. No, you can not delete Grub by just hitting F7 at boot.
    4. Backtrack is not a program, you can not "Uninstall" it. You can delete it, but thats more basic linux/partition problems, not a BT related issue.
    5. You can edit the booting order by changing the Grub install. Google "boot order grub" and you will find your answer.

Hope this helps. Respond if it doesn't.
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Just to expand on what micole posted, It has been my experience that Grub doesn't always output the correct operating system on the load screen. In other words, I had Ubuntu installed a couple of years back, at it saw my Xp Pro as Win 2k for some reason, when I booted into it, it was XP, just not identified correctly.

If you delete your Linux "install", your going to need to rebuild the Windows bootloader with a retail or OEM Windows disk. Or you'll get the "Cannot find operating system" error and noot be able to boot anything.

Definitely read up on grub and boot loaders, it helped me immensely a few years back!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost40 View Post
    Just to expand on what micole posted, It has been my experience that Grub doesn't always output the correct operating system on the load screen. In other words, I had Ubuntu installed a couple of years back, at it saw my Xp Pro as Win 2k for some reason, when I booted into it, it was XP, just not identified correctly.

If you delete your Linux "install", your going to need to rebuild the Windows bootloader with a retail or OEM Windows disk. Or you'll get the "Cannot find operating system" error and noot be able to boot anything.

Definitely read up on grub and boot loaders, it helped me immensely a few years back!
    If I remember correctly there is a program in windows that will rebuild the windows bootloader. If you use that and then delete the BT partition you will be good to go (of course unless you know how to resize partitions you will have a C: and a D: )

OP, seeing as how we gave you a good enough push and you are leaving backtrack, I do not see how we can help you further then this. Hope your "uninstall" of BT goes well for you.
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Just burned his ISO

I believe you can use Wubi to rebuild your boot loader. Also, don't forget to resize partitions or w/e. Just don't leave that empty space idle. It's a waste!

Good luck.