Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Remote Kernel Crash

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SephStorm View Post
    1. Now I dont know about stability in mac, but I could go back and grab all the emails from a year or two ago about problems in OSX.
    And what exactly would you be comparing those emails to?

Quote Originally Posted by SephStorm
    2. Not everyone enjoys compiling everything. Not everyone likes having to run Wine or other programs just to play a game. and so on. We linux users tend to look down on ease of use, our security background doesnt help, that being understood, ease of use is why I will probably use windows for a very long time.
    When's the last time you actually had to compile anything on linux or mac? I've been using makefiles and package managers outside of writing my own programs and that doesn't change whether I'm using linux, mac, or windows.

Playing games is arguably the only reason to use windows. It's the first question I ask when people ask me whether or not they should buy a mac or linux machine instead.

As far as my windows 7 experience goes, I tried it on one computer for a test, next thing I know I was dual booting it on my laptop with vista. then i said, "Fk vista." so now I have two computers running 7, straight up. And I was not planning on upgrading. It runs very well, Little to no problems. Will there be security holes? yes, its a coded system. no such thing as perfect security.
    Found your problem right there. And I agree there is no thing as perfect security. I'm actually unsure whether there is a perfect anything. I believe this is the reason everyone thinks windows7 is that good because it's being compared to one of ms's worst OS ever.

Ever used it? Oh and my face would look the same as it would look if I saw an exploit running on any OS. I hope you see why this is causing a fuss. A comment like that would indicate that you think that just because the OS is "awesome" that it is perfect. Its not. We know that.

Sorry for the rant. I tried not to reply to this thread early on.
    I fail to see what fuss this is really causing. I hope you can embellish on this more.

Ever used it?
    As a matter of fact, I'm using it right now. And as a matter of fact I was already attacked with this exploit. I paid for this system and yet Microsoft hasn't fixed anything (Read bellow). How do you think I feel?

Oh and my face would look the same as it would look if I saw an exploit running on any OS.
    I never mentioned your face and I would like to keep it that way... Oh, crap... I just did! Damn you Snayler!

A comment like that would indicate that you think that just because the OS is "awesome" that it is perfect. Its not. We know that.
    Well, I know it's not perfect (nothing is...), but this exploit brings the "awesome" all the way down, IMO. It's a huge security hole in the system, and from what I've seen, Microsoft hasn't been capable of fixing the issue and they're trying since September 8 (More than 2 months?).

BTW, just found this (or this). Which, IMO and if it's true, brings the "awesomeness" to the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    I believe this is the reason everyone thinks windows7 is that good because it's being compared to one of ms's worst OS ever.
    Never thought of it that way, but it makes perfect sense to me.

Sorry guys, it still doesnt change anything for me.
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Just burned his ISO

yes, windows is infamous for it's security flaws and vulnerabilities. with that being said, microsoft also created a product that was embraced by the majority of the population world-wide. the margin of profit for those exploiting these vulnerabilities is a lot larger than, let's say: linux, *bsd, solaris, etc,. im not sure on the exact numbers, but i would assume 60-80% of consumers use windows. thus the focus and attention of auditing such a system like windows is greater than its competitors. lesson? don't be nieve. if you replace microsoft with apple you will see a flood of osx 0days.

... just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by xsv2009 View Post
    don't be nieve. if you replace microsoft with apple you will see a flood of osx 0days.

... just my 2 cents.
    *naive?
    Well... You do have a point. But you can't say that for sure. Yes, if microsoft didn't exist, apple's osx would be more exploited than it is, but the question is, would you find this kind of exploits? Kernel crash? With just some bytes of info? It's a serious flaw on the system... I mean, someone could launch a program to do this automatically (not that it is too hard to do manually), and thousands (of not millions) of script kiddies would be using that app to crash thousands/millions of windows7/server2008r2 systems. See the HUGE flaw here?

While a fun read, I must say that this thread is seriously chasing its own tail. I think most can agree that if you're going to make it in the IT world then it pays to have a wide breadth of OS proficency. Linux, MS, and Apple are all here and here for good. Learn to use them, exploit them all, and use the knowledge to better protect your clients. After all, isnt that what we're here for?

/end eternal debate

Wow! That was a good exploit.. ha!
    ..lost in silence™

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    *naive?
    Well... You do have a point. But you can't say that for sure. Yes, if microsoft didn't exist, apple's osx would be more exploited than it is, but the question is, would you find this kind of exploits? Kernel crash? With just some bytes of info? It's a serious flaw on the system... I mean, someone could launch a program to do this automatically (not that it is too hard to do manually), and thousands (of not millions) of script kiddies would be using that app to crash thousands/millions of windows7/server2008r2 systems. See the HUGE flaw here?
    Worth to mention that you also pay $120-$1030 for such a vulnerable system.
    My personal opinion is that in the process of creating windows never was security on the first place, rather money and popularity(well, at least they are first in line of "most exploitable systems"). They started to care about security just because being infamous in this area.
    Great minds have purposes, others have wishes

Since this thread is getting long ...it needs an input from a trol....and Im here to help.

Windows and *nux have 2 completely not compatible audiences.

1) In linux: if I would like to start apache server (assumes Im not insane and running all as root) I have to sudo and enter password etc. As far as I know no one is complaining, it seems reasonable....right?
    In windows if there is a Yes/No pop-up it is called intrusive and switched off forever.

2) Market share: according to W3Counter - Global Web Stats (have no clue how good or bad that data is but for sake of discussion....etc)
    Would you rather write exploit for the 85% of the market or 2% of the market (knowing that 85 runs as admin and the 2 most likely you need to do privilege escalation)

3) < Insert good convincing argument here to show that Windows cant really be made secure because the problem rests between chair and keyboard as much as with technology. >

Now that I convinced you all (if I did not you did not enter proper argument for number 3 - please try again), lets all tell me...what are you getting me for X-mas?

Sin-cerely,
    Trol

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Let's keep it in check.
    It's not just the OS that is vulnerable or has "flaws built in".
    To wit this year firefox tops the list with the most vulnerabilities, followed by Adobe flash and acrobat. So now that leads us to the browser of choice for most Linux distros. Granted all of this really is subjective, and partisan. Considering that IBM's X-force ranked the MAC OS as being the most vulnerable OS above both vista and XP but the ranking system was based on documented vulnerabilities only. But in reality I would speculate that DVL is actually the most vulnerable OS, I mean come on it's name even implies that.

I believe we have had this discussion before and well we could have it forever, but the reality is, so long as there are dumb users who allow manufacturers to
    produce flawed software and then in turn run it, use it, buy it, or whatever it really won't change. The my OS is better than yours is really worn out.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast