Thread: BT4 Boot Loader? - PS3 situation

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question BT4 Boot Loader? - PS3 situation

I'm pretty new to linux, and I'm trying to install BT4 on my PS3. The PS3 requires you to have the boot loader file renamed to "otheros.bld", and place it in a certain directory prior to installing. I feel like a nub asking this, but what file would I rename?

I was also wondering if anyone had any success with installing BT4 on a PS3. I know only certain versions of Linux will only work on certain models because the newer ones discontinued the "Other OS" feature, but Ubuntu is one of those... So maybe...

I have searched the forum. Thank you for any replies!

Default Re: BT4 Boot Loader? - PS3 situation

Hey dafatman, i don't think that this should work with the backtrack distro, because of the drivers. But i'm not shure if i got this right, if ubuntu works, y not installing ubuntu on it ?

Just burned his ISO

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing... Thanks. :/ Not what I had hoped for, but still better than nothing. I'm just going to try to emulate backtrack inside Ubuntu if I can.

Just burned his ISO

I don't own a PS3, but I believe it's based on the PPC arch. Given that BT is only available for i386, I'm assuming that it's not going to install by itself.

Not only will there be a drivers issue, but also the facts that:

a) The BackTrack distro does not have a powerpc kernel compiled;

b) The PS3 only allots 256 Mb RAM to the installed "Other OS", which isn't nearly enough to run BT; and

c) You're likely to run into problems with the whole "text-only" installation mode that the PS3 requires.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Just burned his ISO

Lat i checked,
    Unless there is a specific backtrack distro for the PS3, i really dont think its gonna work. the PS3's cell processor is not an x86 architecture.

There are specific Linux Distibutions built for the PS3, look for yellowdog linux and a SPECIFIC ubuntu version, but dont get your hopes up unless you love the terminal. the PS3 only has 256MB of RAM available for other OS.

i hope this helps

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xX_Spiidey_Xx View Post
    Not only will there be a drivers issue, but also the facts that:
    b) The PS3 only allots 256 Mb RAM to the installed "Other OS", which isn't nearly enough to run BT; and
    Not saying one could do much but BT can be run with 256MB RAM. It's the gui and other applications that will hog up the memory.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel.Amael View Post
    Not saying one could do much but BT can be run with 256MB RAM. It's the gui and other applications that will hog up the memory.
    Cheers
    Correct, as (pretty much) always. Yes, you *could* conceivably run BT, but you'd be more apt to want to cut yourself with a shard of glass while trying to run dictionary attacks, or just about any other software requiring a GUI.

My PS3 is just for games. My computer(s) is for computing ( and BackTrack <3 ).
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

I have read some forums where folks have successfully used VMWare on top of PSUbuntu to "run" Windows XP, however the posts I read indicated that RAM limitations mentioned earlier made it basically unusable. I would imagine that running BT on top of it would have a similar effect.

My personal experience in installing Kubuntu and Yellowdog on the PS3 just ended up ticking me off in terms of visuals and performance, and that was just trying to load Firefox...I found out real quick that, just because you can don't mean that you should! 'Course confirming the "can" is half of the fun, right?

Man if this was possible we could crack Whole World network with the power of the PS3 :P