Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: some one boardcasting a wireless signal with same ssid as mine

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    What do you think you're going to do if you find him? You could very well end up on the wrong end of an asswhoopin'.
    i know exactly what to do with him but i have to be sure that i found the true guy.

Is the network protected with WPA? If so, you ought to be able to configure the clients to only connect to your AP if the connection was made with a supplied password (because he doesn't know your password).

Of course, there is a weakness here, which is that your clients will likely try authenticating with his AP with their secret key and he could see what keys they are trying to use.

Does this attack have a name -- where you create an AP with the same name as a WPA protected AP then sniff off the passwords as clients try to connect to you?

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Does this attack have a name -- where you create an AP with the same name as a WPA protected AP then sniff off the passwords as clients try to connect to you?
    I've heard people refer to it as the "evil twin".
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    I've heard people refer to it as the "evil twin".
    I think I hear a skinny Canadian dude up in Alberta screaming.....

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Is the network protected with WPA? If so, you ought to be able to configure the clients to only connect to your AP if the connection was made with a supplied password (because he doesn't know your password).

Of course, there is a weakness here, which is that your clients will likely try authenticating with his AP with their secret key and he could see what keys they are trying to use.

no it's not protected with WPA , and the attack name is as Virchanza mentioned .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12