Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some one boardcasting a wireless signal with same ssid as mine

Just burned his ISO

Default some one boardcasting a wireless signal with same ssid as mine

hello

I'm broadcasting a wireless internet to 20 clients,and I'm using pppoe , but some one is broadcasting with the same SSID as mine and with many different mac addresses , many of my clients have a bad net and disconnecting many times and tow of them even don't connect to my network ...

so,what you think i can do to solve this problem ?

PS :
    i can't hide my signal because i need new client to know me and even if i change it he will know it

my clients are using 2.4MHz Grid like this
    hxxp://dmsichina.com/grid/SP242409-400.jpg

And i'm using omni antenna to broadcast

i search a lot for a solution for this problem and even talked with many people in yahoo chat rooms and they all say that i must broadcast with a stronger signal , the problem is there is a high noise in my area and if i did this my net will be so slow ...

I don't know if you need other information ,best regards

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Nothing you can do. That's one of the main problems with Wifi. Anyone can broadcast any damn SSID that they want.

The noise from them will interfere with your own network, but there are some third party connection managers you can install on your clients so they will only connect to certain AP's on a MAC whitelist. It's not a good solution because if someone is being really malicious, they could change their MAC's to match yours, but there's really not much else you can do about it.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Nothing you can do. That's one of the main problems with Wifi. Anyone can broadcast any damn SSID that they want.

The noise from them will interfere with your own network, but there are some third party connection managers you can install on your clients so they will only connect to certain AP's on a MAC whitelist. It's not a good solution because if someone is being really malicious, they could change their MAC's to match yours, but there's really not much else you can do about it.
    exactly , and he know how to change his mac to be exactly like mine therefore i can't use these connections managers too

i think i have only one solution , and that solution is changing my mac address and hide my SSID , at least i wont lose my current clients

do you think it's a good one ?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by memo2009 View Post
    exactly , and he know how to change his mac to be exactly like mine therefore i can't use these connections managers too

i think i have only one solution , and that solution is changing my mac address and hide my SSID , at least i wont lose my current clients

do you think it's a good one ?

thanks
    The only way to truly hide your SSID is to turn off your AP.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

The only way to truly hide your SSID is to turn off your AP.
    well , i hope he doesn't have AirMagnet or AirJack or something like that.

well , i hope he doesn't have AirMagnet or AirJack or something like that.
    ...or <gasp> Backtrack.

Just burned his ISO

...or <gasp> Backtrack.
    or Backtack

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

The simplest way to fudge up somebody's wifi network is to broadcast a jamming signal in the same frequency range that wifi uses... no need for pissing around with MAC addresses or ESSID's.

The only way I can see of stopping someone tormenting you and your wifi network is to actually track them down and (illegal suggestion involving an iron bar removed)
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    The simplest way to fudge up somebody's wifi network is to broadcast a jamming signal in the same frequency range that wifi uses... no need for pissing around with MAC addresses or ESSID's.

The only way I can see of stopping someone tormenting you and your wifi network is to actually track them down and (illegal suggestion involving an iron bar removed)
    I'll try to find him , it's little bit hard because there is so many wireless networks in my area and even some times he broadcast with SSID same to a network exist in the area ... thank you

I'll try to find him , it's little bit hard because there is so many wireless networks in my area and even some times he broadcast with SSID same to a network exist in the area ... thank you
    What do you think you're going to do if you find him? You could very well end up on the wrong end of an asswhoopin'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast