Thread: Am I hacked?? Help with understanding ARP captured packages...

Just burned his ISO

Noob here, Im new to linux, I play around with Wireless hot spots.

Now this is what my problem is, when I connect to wireless network, and monitor traffic with wireshark i get tons of ARP packages, they look like this:

7 0.007114 GigasetC_8f:92:a9 Broadcast ARP Who has 192.168.5.9? Tell 192.168.5.1

and the IP adress, 192.168.5.9 is increasing by one every time, so i get 200, 300 of these with different IP adress, every time its increesed by one.

Is that mean someone on the network is trying to attack me? Is that ARP poisoning? Or is that normal? It looks to me like someone is trying all the IP adresses, Im noob, I dont know, but it looks strange to me...

Im new to linux, player around with BT3 for 2,3 months, and now Im on single boot Ubuntu. I love Linux, and i would like to learn as much as i can about wireless security so I hope you will help me with my noob questions

For now I know how tu use Wireshark, crack WEP, change MAC adresse and some really simple stuff, but I learn fast and I hope so I will understand networks, linux and all this interesting stuff...

So is so many ARP packages normal? It looks like i posted up, but IP is increasing by one every time.

anyone can help me please?

to learn

Quote Originally Posted by Limeni View Post
    Noob here, Im new to linux, I play around with Wireless hot spots.

Now this is what my problem is, when I connect to wireless network, and monitor traffic with wireshark i get tons of ARP packages, they look like this:

7 0.007114 GigasetC_8f:92:a9 Broadcast ARP Who has 192.168.5.9? Tell 192.168.5.1

and the IP adress, 192.168.5.9 is increasing by one every time, so i get 200, 300 of these with different IP adress, every time its increesed by one.

Is that mean someone on the network is trying to attack me? Is that ARP poisoning? Or is that normal? It looks to me like someone is trying all the IP adresses, Im noob, I dont know, but it looks strange to me...

Im new to linux, player around with BT3 for 2,3 months, and now Im on single boot Ubuntu. I love Linux, and i would like to learn as much as i can about wireless security so I hope you will help me with my noob questions

For now I know how tu use Wireshark, crack WEP, change MAC adresse and some really simple stuff, but I learn fast and I hope so I will understand networks, linux and all this interesting stuff...

So is so many ARP packages normal? It looks like i posted up, but IP is increasing by one every time.

anyone can help me please?
    No,no you are not hacked. Perhaps someone to tryed. And the all Back track tool are so strong. You have learned many. I know also 70% about back track and ha... If you want learn more you can contact me by mail. my mail ripon.ahmed72@gmail.com. But condition you have to.....

thank you

The ARP requests you have seen could indicate that someone is scanning the network for live IP addresses. An ARP request is basically the process by which an IP address is associated with a MAC address - to allow frames to be delivered at the Data Link layer. The incrementing IP addresses in the requests means that someone is trying to send an IP packet to each IP address... which is what you would see in a host scan. Under normal conditions you wont see a reply to these unless a system on the network has one of these IP addresses bound to its listening interface.

This alone does not mean you have been hacked.

to learn, unless you are really keen on learning about lots of new ways to get a degree online or increase the girth of your manhood, Id suggest that you don't post your email address here.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.