Thread: backtrack 4 on usb live

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default backtrack 4 on usb live

Im using back track 4 usb live version. When I start it up how do I open a second kernal (Command window like in xp)? How do I switch back and forth between the first one and the second one?

Default Re: backtrack 4 on usb live

First, do some reading. A lot of reading.

Second, they're not called kernels, they're called TTY's.

Since I'm feeling nice, use [CTRL]+[ALT]+[F1-7] to switch. I'd say try googling next time, but it's difficult to get a useful search result when you don't know what you're talking about/looking for.

switch TTY linux - Google Search
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Quote Originally Posted by us11csalyer View Post
    Im using back track 4 usb live version. When I start it up how do I open a second kernal (Command window like in xp)? How do I switch back and forth between the first one and the second one?
    I think he is asking how to open up another terminal... If you are using the GUI, just click the "New Tab" under the window. Otherwise (if you don't have a GUI) you can do what Spiidey said (With the Ctrl+Alt+F1-7). Even if you do have the GUI you can still switch TTY's.
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

First, I think you're looking for the word "console" (maybe terminal) but not Kernel. While I'm sure TTY is technically correct I've never heard anyone say in conversation..."I need to open another TTY window." (Maybe I don't hang around with the right people ).

Second, if you need multiple terminal sessions from a command line interface you can use the screen command. Screen is really handy, you can open/close screen sessions at will and change between them. Just use "screen" to start screen with one session/window. Use ctrl+a+c to "create" session/window. use ctrl+a+n to move to the "next" one or rotate through all of them. Then ctrl+a+d to "detach" and return to your regular CLI. Then "screen -r" to resume or re-attach. To exit screen simply type "exit" in all your screens
    Also if you have a long running process you can run it inside screen and if your telnet or ssh session to the machine (assuming you are connected remotely) dies then your process isn't also killed off (you just reconnect and do a screen resume).

Third, there are lots of ways to launch additional Terminal windows from the GUI. I don't have access to a BT box right now but on a standard Ubuntu install you can just go to the menu "Accessories : Terminal". If you have a terminal running already you can just go to the menu "File : Open Terminal" or you can right click anywhere in the window and select "Open Terminal" from the context menu.
    Last edited by thorin; 03-22-2010 at 03:27 PM.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Maybe I don't hang around with the right people
    Awww... You hang out with us We are the right people ... But your right I have never heard the question "How do I open a new TTY?"
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by micole View Post
    But your right I have never heard the question "How do I open a new TTY?"
    Well that's because (in this case) you can't open a TTY but you can open a pseudo TTY.
    For the old Geeks yes I know that a TTY could be opened but we are still talking about pseudo ones.