Hi everybody @ RE, I'm MickMad, I attend the 2nd year of Informatic Engineering at La Sapienza University (Rome) and I got into the BackTrack world during these last days. I never used BT since now because I always knew that the Intel Wifi 5100 wasn't supported, but I just wanted to, at least, take a look at BT 4 pre. Luckily today, I discovered just now that actually it IS supported, and then I used it to crack a test network WEP I managed to crack yesterday with the fancy-pancy TP-Link WN422g my friend just bought... and it did work with no problems (although the signal strenght is way lower than the wn422g, or than just every other usb wifi pen with external antenna)...and I needed to upgrade no kernel nor drivers, neither to add the swconfig50=1 option...is it just a miracle? ( lol )
so here is my specs:

PC : Acer Aspire 5930G
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 2.0 GHz, 800 MB FSB, 2 MB L2 cache
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 9600m GT
Wifi: Intel Wifi 5100

The only thing I've noticed is that on Live boot, it's actually so sloooooow (not processing, just when loading apps or files) ... I don't know if it is my reader (maybe it is gone), or the dvd itself (but I've noticed some scratches... <__<). But that's not a problem, as long as it works properly
So, next step is to buy that TP-Link thingy (I actually like that thing, its connector it's actually well done), create a little portable dish antenna (I thought about a modular thing, small and effective) and maybe add to it a mini-pcb with the simplest working signal amplifier (if needed). Actually I have a real size dish, and I'd like to WAN link my friend and me dish-to-dish XD but maybe I'm going too far, I'll just stick with usb pen and lil portable antenna, just to "hear" better.

So, peace,

Mick

PS: If anyone knows how to tweak an Intel Wifi 5100 to recieve just a bit more, I'd like to know it, thanks