Thread: HP mini 311 question?

Just burned his ISO

Default HP mini 311 question?

I'm fixing to get a HP Mini 311 and I was wondering if this is any good with back|track 4. I have searched both the forum and google and didn't find what I was looking for. I really would like to get a definitive answer on this. If the default wifi card is not compatible I believe that a Atheros AR928x Half Mini PCI-e Wireless Card 802.11n BG that I found on ebay will work. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this hardware?

Yes, I bought the win7 hp mini 311 the day it came out a week ago or so. You MUST order the b/g Broadcom wireless [14e4:4315 (Broadcom bcm4312 rev 01) ] and it will essentially work "out of the box" (see EDIT below) with any 2.6.31 kernel like Ubuntu or Xubuntu 9.10 to give full managed and full aircrack-ng command capaibility.

I don't think BT4 has that high a kernel yet.....so use Ubuntu.

A

EDIT: You need to perform only one Xterm command to obtain the full capability: sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic b43-fwcutter

Quote Originally Posted by alacrityathome View Post
    Yes, I bought the win7 hp mini 311 the day it came out a week ago or so. You MUST order the b/g Broadcom wireless [14e4:4315 (Broadcom bcm4312 rev 01) ] and it will essentially work "out of the box" (see EDIT below) with any 2.6.31 kernel like Ubuntu or Xubuntu 9.10 to give full managed and full aircrack-ng command capaibility.

I don't think BT4 has that high a kernel yet.....so use Ubuntu.

A

EDIT: You need to perform only one Xterm command to obtain the full capability: sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic b43-fwcutter
    You do know that installs the ndis drivers and you'll only get normal browsing wifi capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You do know that installs the ndis drivers and you'll only get normal browsing wifi capabilities.

Hey, I got full monitoring and injection capability with that simple process and now use the USB to boot into those capabilities quickly. Aircrack-ng and airoscript-ng both installed. iw was also required of course. It was a nice surprise to me but I assumed it was the latest kernel capability from 2.6.31-5 of Ubuntu 9.10. Xubuntu 9.10 also had the same capability. I tested both of those Distributions although I only tested it with the 14e4:4315 (Broadcom bcm4312 rev 01 wireless chip set. That is one reason i posted....so others would also be aware of this.

Thanks,

A

Quote Originally Posted by alacrityathome View Post
    Hey, I got full monitoring and injection capability with that simple process and now use the USB to boot into those capabilities quickly. Aircrack-ng and airoscript-ng both installed. iw was also required of course. It was a nice surprise to me but I assumed it was the latest kernel capability from 2.6.31-5 of Ubuntu 9.10. Xubuntu 9.10 also had the same capability. I tested both of those Distributions although I only tested it with the 14e4:4315 (Broadcom bcm4312 rev 01 wireless chip set. That is one reason i posted....so others would also be aware of this.

Thanks,

A
    Neat! I didn't know they got that much with the broadcom drivers.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for all the replies.