Thread: Aircrack cant crack my wpa-psk simple keys

Just burned his ISO

Default Aircrack cant crack my wpa-psk simple keys

Hi all, I've been using and learning bt 4pre final for a month or so now and am loving it, it's great.

My question is about aircrack's consistancy even if the key is in the dictionary your using.

I've been going through the tutorials on aircrack's site and had fun and success with wep, so now moved onto wpa-psk. I've been setting my key's to be really easy so it dont take a month of sundays to crack. Keys so far have been ABAAAAAZ, 11111122, 11111111 and one more really easy one that I cant recall now. So far out of the four keys used I have only managed to crack 11111111. It has nothing to do with the dictionary I'm using which I'll explain in a bit.

I'm using crunch to make my list's with a simple command like crunch 8 8 12 -o number.txt

So I have followed their tutorial to the letter, and have been getting the 4 way handshake (after deauthing my other laptop) everytime. Because I know the keys, I have made nice small dictionary files to suite each key I have tried, I have also gone through each dictionary file to double check the key is in fact in the file and it always is.

Like I said the only key it actually cracked was 11111111 and the dictionary file I used to do it with only had this key in it, so would have been strange had that not worked.

As for 11111122, in the dicionary file I created it is the fouth key in the list with what can only be 300-400 keys in total in the list. So I'm stumped as to why its not getting it.

Anyone had this problem? Am I missing something simple out? Hope I've given enough detail for an answer, any advice would be great thanks.

John

Sounds like user error, can you post the cap file so we can try it ourselves?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Sounds like user error, can you post the cap file so we can try it ourselves?
    Unfortunatley I dont have attachment privileges, unless there is another way?

Also I used the exact same code for each section of the crack for every crack attempt, I just changed the output file names.

And strangely I tried 11111122 again a little while later and it worked, very annoying.

We've all been there, you think you are doing the same exact thing but something is different. Sounds like you have it working.

Let it run longer.

Developer

If you upload the cap file I would be happy to take a look at it.

Just burned his ISO

Hello all,

I've had another go this morning. Same process as yesterday really with the password AAAAAAZA, created another little password file with crunch, the password is third from the top in the file. And still couldn't crack it.

So now I'm thinking I'm just receiving bad packets in the 4way handshake perhaps? I'm going to go through the "WPA Packet Capture Explained" tutorial on aircrack later to see if mine match up.

Thanks for offering to take a look at my cap files. Here is the one from 20 minutes ago, with my tiny password file as well if needed. I hope a mediafire upload is ok? And I hope these links are not a brake of site rules, appologies if so.

mediafire dot com/file/rmmhxdyyi5w/letters.txt - password file
    mediafire dot com/file/2mkthjzjykm/new-01.cap

Thanks again for any help.
    John

Ok I believe I am just capturing a bad 4way handshake, I ran the whole capture again not to long ago and aircrack cracked it this time. I'm using just the commands from their tutorial as follows:

I'm using the Alfa AWUS036H RTL8187

airmon-ng start wlan1 6
    airodump-ng -c 9 --bssid xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -w new nom0
    aireplay-ng -0 1 -a xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -c xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx mon0
    aircrack-ng -w letters.txt -b xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx new*.cap

I'm just wondering if there's anything I can or should add to the above commands to make it more consistent for me?

Thanks again,
    John

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Use the edit button instead of making a new consecutive post.
    I know you know how to do it since you did edit your last post before I merged them.
    It is one of the rules you agreed to.
    Thanks
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

hello

do you have a tutorial step-by-step for crack wifi network and grab the key ?
    I use backttrack 4 and a ALFA awus036h usb device.
    please contact me by email direcly baslot@email.it