Thread: Cannot see highlighted GRUB entry in BT4 pre final

Just burned his ISO

Angry Cannot see highlighted GRUB entry in BT4 pre final

hi

I really adore the BT4 logo, however I cannot see the highlighted grub entry...

Its pathetic...

I have a live USB and I changed the menu.lst in the /boot and added "color" and reinstalled grub... yet I dont see the colors taking effect..

I am sorry I feel like a no-ob inspite of being a "root" at work for over 10 years...

Ghat

Developer

The complaints have sunk to a new all time low!

Quote Originally Posted by ghatothkach View Post
    hi

I really adore the BT4 logo, however I cannot see the highlighted grub entry...

Its pathetic...

I have a live USB and I changed the menu.lst in the /boot and added "color" and reinstalled grub... yet I dont see the colors taking effect..

I am sorry I feel like a no-ob inspite of being a "root" at work for over 10 years...

Ghat
    I obviously missed this one, mixed in as it was with the 38 other new threads I read this morning.

OP, I don't think anyone here is particularly interested in hearing about how "pathetic" you think BackTrack is.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    I obviously missed this one, mixed in as it was with the 38 other new threads I read this morning.

OP, I don't think anyone here is particularly interested in hearing about how "pathetic" you think BackTrack is.
    Ok boss,

so how do I go about fixing this... I just dont understand why the
    color entry in the menu.lst will not work...

Code:
    # By default, boot the first entry.
    default 4

# Boot automatically after 30 secs.
    timeout 10

splashimage=/boot/grub/bt4.xpm.gz
    color light-red/black red/light-gray

title                Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (1024x768)
    kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x317
    initrd                /boot/initrd.gz

title                Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (800x600)
    kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x314
    initrd                /boot/initrd800.gz

title                Start BackTrack Forensics (no swap)
    kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw vga=0x317
    initrd                /boot/initrdfr.gz

title                Start BackTrack in Safe Graphical Mode
    kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper xforcevesa rw quiet

title                Start Persistent Live CD
    kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper persistent rw quiet vga=0x314

title                Start BackTrack in Text Mode
    kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent textonly rw quiet

title                Start BackTrack Graphical Mode from RAM
    kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper toram nopersistent rw quiet

title                Memory Test
    kernel                /boot/memtest86+.bin

title                Boot the First Hard Disk
    root                (hd0)
    chainloader +1

PS:

Ok I liked this one...
    _http===intern0t.net/backtrack/backtrack4_4.png

So I created a splashimage from that ant it is much better now...
    I can see the balck hilite now..

other images on the same site
    _http===ntern0t.net/backtrack/backtrack4_1.png

_http===intern0t.net/backtrack/backtrack4_2.png
    _http===intern0t.net/backtrack/backtrack4_3.png

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ghatothkach View Post
    so how do I go about fixing this... I just dont understand why the
    color entry in the menu.lst will not work...
    I'm doing this under duress because I don't want to see this degenerate much further (and I'm not allowed to embed rm -rf / commands in "helpful" code). I want it noted that I do not appreciate your opinion of such a fine system these people work hard to put out, and I want to also make note that there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't have been able to work this out for yourself if you had only RTFM.

Look at this page: color - GNU GRUB Manual 0.97

There is a specific mention of the highlight command there. Make use of it. Also realise that red and light-red are going to be very difficult to differentiate on a boot screen - unless you are color blind I suggest that you should have known this.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    I'm doing this under duress because I don't want to see this degenerate much further (and I'm not allowed to embed rm -rf / commands in "helpful" code). I want it noted that I do not appreciate your opinion of such a fine system these people work hard to put out, and I want to also make note that there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't have been able to work this out for yourself if you had only RTFM.

Look at this page:CANNOT QUOTE URL even in REPLY

There is a specific mention of the highlight command there. Make use of it. Also realise that red and light-red are going to be very difficult to differentiate on a boot screen - unless you are color blind I suggest that you should have known this.
    Well, first off, I do respect all the FSF/GPL guys not just the BT guys. When I said pathetic, I meant that I am pathetic, that I could/cannot figure it out inspite of my experience..

In the menu.lst I posted, what do you think is wrong. I have read the grub manual and came up with the line

Code:
    color light-red/black red/light-gray
    where the normal fore/back is light-red/black
    and for the higlighted entry it is
    red/lightgray

I have tried it with my ubuntu grub and it works...

Anyways, as I mentioned, I used the other background.. and now with those colors, I can figure out the highlight.. so take care of for now..