Thread: Question about ettercap

Just burned his ISO

Default Question about ettercap

Greetings, I have a question regarding ettercap. After screwing around for a week I was finally able to learn how to obtain the wep key from my test router using airodump, aircrack, etc. So I have read that all of the .cap files can then be decoded in ettercap. This is where I am stumped though. When I open the .cap file in ettercap-gtk and then click on "view"-"set the WEP key" and enter the key it says "Unsupported WEP key length". I have the man page and it says to do the following:

-W, --wep-key <KEY>
    You can specify a WEP key to decrypt WiFi packets. Only the packets decrypted successfully will be passed to the decoders stack, the others will be skipped with a message.
    The parameter has the following syntax: N:T:KEY. Where N is the bit length of the wep key (64, 128 or 256), T is the type of the string ('s' for string and 'p' for passphrase). KEY can be a string or an escaped hex sequences.
    example:
    --wep-key 128:secret
    --wep-key 128:s:ettercapwep0
    --wep-key '64:s:\x01\x02\x03\x04\x05'

Aircrack gave me the key in Hex so I used the --wep-key '64:s\x01\x02...command but no matter what i do it still tells me the length is unsupported. Am I missing a step or just misreading what this program is capable of, or just way out there? Thanks for any help possible

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by evocati View Post
    --wep-key '64:s:\x01\x02\x03\x04\x05'

Aircrack gave me the key in Hex so I used the --wep-key '64:s\x01\x02
    Chris
    Not sure if you have a typo in your command but there is definately a difference between the example option for the wep-key and the command you typed.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Default abbreviation

Sorry I was just abbreviating the string thats why I had ... at the end. To clarify, My test router has 64bit wep encryption. Aircrack correctly reported the key as 93:FA:9F3:C2 So when I try to enter that into ettercap gtk as either 93:FA:9F3:C2 or 93FA9FD3C2 it says unsupported wep key length. When I try via command line I type --wep-key '64:s:\x93\xFA\x9F\xD3\xC2' and I get the same error. Just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Just burned his ISO

if using the GUI try entering the length of the WEP key first eg 64,128,256 followed by the type sting or pasphrase followed by the key

eg- 64:1122334455