Thread: Kernel not found ? HELP

Just burned his ISO

Default Kernel not found ? HELP

Hey, this is my first post here and I have a problem. I have backtrack 3 and its on my USB but when I try to boot from the USB it says linux kernel not found. I'm not quite sure what to do. I'm using windows vista and have vmware player installed too because I thought that had something to do with it. Can someone please help me ?

how did you put backtrack 3 on your usb? did you follow any videos or tutorials? in any case, this issue is pretty much saying that when you select to boot bt3, the bootloader cant find the kernel that is needed to load bt3. also vmware player is not needed unless you want to run the virtual machine version of bt3. last but not least, dont take this as an assult, but from what i can see, you are new to linux, i suggest using a simpler distro of linux. start with ubuntu, learn the basics then move on.
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Just burned his ISO

Yes I am new to linux and all of this. And sorry the error says: kernel image not found : linux

I looked at a few video tutorials and what i did was copy the bt3 and boot folders to my USB then go into boot and selected bootinst.

Would it be easier to download the virtual machine version and use that ?

And when you say : i suggest using a simpler distro of linux. start with ubuntu, learn the basics then move on

I dont know what you mean. I dont even know how ubuntu works and will that let me use backtrack, what should I do ?

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo222 View Post
    And when you say : i suggest using a simpler distro of linux. start with ubuntu, learn the basics then move on

I dont know what you mean. I dont even know how ubuntu works and will that let me use backtrack, what should I do ?
    While Im still having trouble believing that the advice you have just repeated confuses you, I will try and restate it so you can understand.

BackTrack is an advanced Linux distribution used for security assessments. It requires you to have decent Linux knowledge before you can use it, because it isn't as user friendly as some other distributions of Linux like Ubuntu. This is because of some deliberate design choices to make the system more suitable for security testing. Using an easier distribution of Linux like Ubuntu so that you can actually learn Linux before trying BackTrack is a good idea. So we suggest that you spend some time using Ubuntu as an Operating System before you try to use BackTrack.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Yes sorry I am a complete noob but all I would like to do is to atleast get backtrack working so I can use it when I'm ready. Can you just help me with that? What SuspectZero said makes sense now that I think about it a bit more, I thought it was some program that I have to install to get backtrack working but its really just another program that will help me learn about linux.
    Still, can you help me get backtrack working so I can use it when I'm ready?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Yes sorry I am a complete noob but all I would like to do is to atleast get backtrack working so I can use it when I'm ready. Can you just help me with that? What SuspectZero said makes sense now that I think about it a bit more, I thought it was some program that I have to install to get backtrack working but its really just another program that will help me learn about linux.
    Dear lord, you really just don't get it.
    Back Track is a Linux distribution, an Operating System, that you have no clue about, so instead of using something that is over your head start with something more basic, like Ubuntu.
    We do not teach basics here at Remote-Exploit, Especially linux basics that can be found the net over.
    Now if you if you insist on using BT then you are on your own, that means you will need to read and follow the guides located all over the forums here.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Id suggest that you spend some time reading:
    • other posts on this forum,
    • the links that have already been provided for you above,
    • any tutorials you can find on how to install BT3 on a USB stick, both here and on other sites on the Internet and
    • Google search results on any other term you don't understand found either on this page or in any other page that you read.

Then, if you still have questions or problems read this, and come back here once you can follow those guidelines when posting.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks alot, I will try my best.