Thread: Just starting need help

Default Just starting need help

Hello this is a great thread. Probably one of the best i have seen so far. I am looking for a notbook to install backtrack 4 and all the other software that i will need. wireshark, cain and able and all the others if there are any. I have been watching
    youtube videos to learn all what i need to do. Im now learning some basic linux books and what not. I am plaining on going to backtrack 4 Security Training. I want to be a ethical hacker. Im not going to cause problems and steal information. My goal
    is to just see if i can do it. Have fun with this software.

I dont wanna to use VM and i dont want to use a cd to run backtrack. I would like to just install backtrack 4 to my laptop.
    So i am looking for a notebook thats powerful enough to run these tools..I like the Acer line. Aspire® One 751h - 11.6"
    here are the specs.

AO751h-1196 Genuine Windows® XP Professional ; Intel® Atom™ Processor Z520; 2GB DDR2 667 SDRAM; 250GB hard drive, multi-in-one card reader; 11.6" WXGA (1366 x 768) TFT display, Acer® CrystalBrite Technology; Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 500; 802.11b/g WLAN, Bluetooth®, 10/100 LAN, webcam; sapphire blue chassis; six-cell battery; one-year limited warranty

What i have been reading so far is that i need xp not vista or 7. Is that correct? XP is the way to go for ethical hacking?

also can you tell me if this notebook work with backtrack4? I notice that some people on here say i need a nvidia graphic card? Is this correct? I hope not because that means i will have to look for another notebook

could you help a noob like me out so i can get started

thanks

I think there should be a sticky for noobs just starting out on what type of gear they should use instead of how to..just my two sence

Just burned his ISO

choice of hardware will very greatly depending on what you will be doing... BT4 (BT in general) is a Linux distribution.... 1. do you plan on running windows also on the laptop? If not the BT4 install script works nicely and can install utilize all or part of your drive, If you do there are then search for BT4 Dual boot with windows.... You said you dont want to Use VM then the windows OS that is running on the laptop doesnt really matter. When you boot BT it is its own OS.