Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual Boot With Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by inuneson View Post
    i actually decided to ditch ubuntu on my pc and run backtrack alone. i finally got the install. now i have a different question. im running backtrack on vmware on my mac, the only problem is i dont know how to setup my network devices. can anyone help a brother out.
    One of the most common questions we get on this forum (ignoring those involving illegal activities regarding the neighbors wireless network) is about how to configure networking on BackTrack. Consequently, there is a lot of information about network configuration on the forum, so you should do a search or three, starting reading the results and try what they suggest. When you have searched a lot, tried a few things without success and you can describe the specific part of the network configuration process where you are having problems and what methods didn't work, then you should post back.

Take note of what I said before, we don't spoonfeed here. You have to do most of the work yourself, but we will help if we think you have put in a decent amount of effort.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Default taste my mac

with what you said about networking on VMware i did some searching- people say there really is no way to network BT on VMware, so i decided to do the next best thing, im putting BT software on OSX. i found some ways to do it on ubuntu, but i believe getting the repositories on OSX is different. can someone help me out? TNX!!!!!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

with what you said about networking on VMware i did some searching- people say there really is no way to network BT on VMware, so i decided to do the next best thing, im putting BT software on OSX. i found some ways to do it on ubuntu, but i believe getting the repositories on OSX is different. can someone help me out? TNX!!!!!
    Obvious you and your sources have no idea what you are talking about.
    I (and many others) run a BT image on my VMware server and have never had any abnormal problems with networking. Further more the underlying OS would have nothing to do with the Repositories, considering that they only really interact with the apt package management tool.
    The problem is not BT or VMware but rather your understanding of how networking works. Especially considering that there are a billion threads here to tell one how to start and setup networking. Not to mention that it is based on Ubuntu and I am sure they have a few billion posts on networking as well.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

people say there really is no way to network BT on VMware
    You may have misinterpreted that. The only thing that Virtual Machines cant do regarding networking is directly use the networking hardware thats managed by the host. It can however use a virtual network card that makes use of the hosts networking facilities by bridging to one of the host's cards or by using the host operating system's networking subsystem to forward the traffic from the VM via NAT or routing from a virtual interface.

If you have networking hardware that you can give exclusive use of to a VM (like a USB network card) this can also be used by the VM as a native (e.g. not virtual) card.

Edit: W00t! Post number 1000!
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Default still stuck on mac.

how can i install the BT software on my mac terminal? i dont understand how to get repositories- or any of it at that... im pretty new to terminals, but im trying to learn.. PLS HLP- muchas gracias

how can i install the BT software on my mac terminal? i dont understand how to get repositories- or any of it at that... im pretty new to terminals, but im trying to learn.. PLS HLP- muchas gracias
    You're trying to install packages from the BackTrack repository on OSX? Yes, I can imagine you'd have some difficulty doing that.

We don't support people using BackTrack tools or the BackTrack repositories with other Operating Systems, so you won't get any assistance with that here.

Im still not exactly sure why you are doing this though, didnt you see what archangel.amael and I said above?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Im still not exactly sure why you are doing this though, didnt you see what archangel.amael and I said above?
    I will speculate that the OP can't mange to figure out how to get bt installed using one of the virtual machine applications that are designed (or is compatible) with MacBooks et al.

@OP what you are trying to do will most likely not work. If you want to use BT then look for the appropriate threads/posts here on using BT with apple products, there are several of them around.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12