Thread: Dual Boot With Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Dual Boot With Ubuntu

Im currently running Ubuntu 9.10
    i do not know how to install Backtrack4 to dualboot with.
    i tried to figure out the partitions from
    other documentation but i wiped out my drive...
    basically i don't want to try to piece together
    information and risk
    losing all my data again. can someone give me concise
    install information to install backtrack to dualboot
    with ubuntu? tnx

Hey all you have to do is make one partition at least 10 gigs and format it to ext3. Then run the installer.sh on the desktop click next blah blah blah till you get to the part where it shows the hard drive when that comes up your gonna have two options one is use entire drive and the one below witch is somethin like manualy select drive you can't miss it. then all you do is click on the partition witch you want to install BT4 on, then somewhere above the whole next button there is an edit button click it then a little menu comes up and just do the following.

1. format type ext3
    2.check the format box
    3.mount point is /
    4.Enjoy ^_^
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Just burned his ISO

if you are afraid of loosing your data, do a backup first

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inuneson View Post
    Im currently running Ubuntu 9.10
    i do not know how to install Backtrack4 to dualboot with.
    And you apparently can't read very well.
    BackTrack 4 Howto Tutorials and Howtos about BackTrack 4 (NOT for requesting tutorials or how to do anything)
    This section is not for your questions.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

i couldnt get it to install grub correctly, so i had to go back in and manually make the menu.lst file and install it...so if you're having trouble with grub boot up that live cd

Just burned his ISO

Question more questions

okay let me walk you through this so you can walk me through that. booting backtrack4 from a DVD > option screen. from there i go to root#bt or root#bt with fancy border+quote. is there a GUI? if not how can i put BT4 on my disc, which has Ubuntu 9.10 on it already.... I don't understand partitioning too much..manuel install seems impossible... tnxtnxtnx

Quote Originally Posted by inuneson View Post
    okay let me walk you through this so you can walk me through that. booting backtrack4 from a DVD > option screen. from there i go to root#bt or root#bt with fancy border+quote. is there a GUI? if not how can i put BT4 on my disc, which has Ubuntu 9.10 on it already.... I don't understand partitioning too much..manuel install seems impossible... tnxtnxtnx
    Yes there is a GUI, search and you will find how to start it.

Id suggest that you read up on partitioning to learn how to do it, then try the method Isohump outlined above. We expect BackTrack users to have a certain level of Linux competency, so you probably won't get a spoonfed response from anyone here about how to accomplish your task. If you search you should be able to find enough related information on the forums (such as dual boot guides for booting BackTrack with other Operating Systems) that will help you learn how to do what you want to do.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Default lol

best advice thus far. tnx again

When you boot BT4 type in startx and you should get somthin people call a desktop after you have done that patt your self on the back, now comes the hard part on the thing called the desktop there is an icon called installer.sh and its the only icon your gonna see on that thing called a desktop click it and your friendly interactive installer will pop out its the same installer and process as installing ubuntu except the whole choosing witch drive you want to put it on or partition in your case. After you start the installer look and my intructions on buttom of screen.

P.S if you get a little error when you run the installer don't worry it happened to every one so just ignore it and continue.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Just burned his ISO

Default vmware

i actually decided to ditch ubuntu on my pc and run backtrack alone. i finally got the install. now i have a different question. im running backtrack on vmware on my mac, the only problem is i dont know how to setup my network devices. can anyone help a brother out.