Thread: nvidia-driver for 2.6.30.7 please :D

happyharry

Default nvidia-driver for 2.6.30.7 please :D

title says it all, i know i can d/l the installer from nvidia and run it myself (in fact i had to so i could get pyrit/cpyrit running) but what's the point in BT4 having repos if the packages aren't getting updated to run with the latest kernel? and though i do sometimes install stuff from svn, source etc i try to stay as close to the repo as possible to avoid unessecary breakages

this is, of course, imho

Just burned his ISO

Knowing that nothing is perfect in this world, I prefer knowing that the backtrack team is working on security tools instead of packaging the nvidia driver.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by happyharry View Post
    title says it all, i know i can d/l the installer from nvidia and run it myself (in fact i had to so i could get pyrit/cpyrit running) but what's the point in BT4 having repos if the packages aren't getting updated to run with the latest kernel? and though i do sometimes install stuff from svn, source etc i try to stay as close to the repo as possible to avoid unessecary breakages

this is, of course, imho
    There are problems with X and the new kernel and driver which are out of my control. Maybe you should volunteer to do some work instead of complaining.

happyharry

well pardon me! but isn't this the "Backtrack 4 Package and feature Requests" subforum? what's the point in such a sub forum when you jump in and call such requests complaining? heck i even put please in the title :/ seems what they say about this place is true

this is, of course, imho
    Ive highlighted the bit where you were complaining for your own future reference. You might want to avoid this type of language in future when you make a request to people who are volunteering their free time to a project, because it makes you seem ungrateful.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

2.6.30.7 on BT4 ?!?!?
    acer 5920g , 345abg , nvidia 8600m
    bt5 kde 64bit + acpi + cuda 4.0 / nvidia 270.40 / pyrit

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Nemis View Post
    2.6.30.7 on BT4 ?!?!?
    This is the latest kernel available. Re-do the same process as for 2.6.30.5 and you'll get it.

happyharry

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Ive highlighted the bit where you were complaining for your own future reference. You might want to avoid this type of language in future when you make a request to people who are volunteering their free time to a project, because it makes you seem ungrateful.
    you know that if you read that as a complaint then you must be thinking negatively, as emotion is almost impossible to read from a typed piece of text, it was simply a stated fact, again i'll say imho

also imho there is nothing worse than people who give up their own time voluntarily then expect everyone else to bow and scrape gratuitously, i didn't ask them to do it and though i am thankful for their efforts i don't feel like i should humble myself every post i make. i don't expect people to do it to me!

and just fyi
    BT4-pre
    kernel 2.6.30.7-mod (only mod is that i enabled pae/highmem64 to use all my ram instead of just over half of it)
    nvidia cuda binary driver 119.18
    Xorg 7.4

all working perfectly, no problems at all and i may have considered packaging some software for this project but i'd rather keep giving my time to fedora, at least there the elitist attitude has long gone!

and remember never judge a person by his post count!

i'm outta here!

Enough of this. I'm closing this thread before I have to put up with any more of these adolescent tantrums.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Developer

you know that if you read that as a complaint then you must be thinking negatively, as emotion is almost impossible to read from a typed piece of text, it was simply a stated fact, again i'll say imho

also imho there is nothing worse than people who give up their own time voluntarily then expect everyone else to bow and scrape gratuitously, i didn't ask them to do it and though i am thankful for their efforts i don't feel like i should humble myself every post i make. i don't expect people to do it to me!

and just fyi
    BT4-pre
    kernel 2.6.30.7-mod (only mod is that i enabled pae/highmem64 to use all my ram instead of just over half of it)
    nvidia cuda binary driver 119.18
    Xorg 7.4

all working perfectly, no problems at all and i may have considered packaging some software for this project but i'd rather keep giving my time to fedora, at least there the elitist attitude has long gone!

and remember never judge a person by his post count!

i'm outta here!
    Just to explain I am in charge of the nvidia drivers. I have bt4pre 2.6.30.7 working with the 190 driver and Xorg just fine as well but when I build the driver myself however when the binary is pacjkaged for some reason it no longer is recognized by Xorg. Cuda and all the apps work fine however startx does not. This is the reason I have not yet but the driver in the main repo. Once again I would challenge you to "put your money where your mouth is" and build a package that works. Many of us on the team are new to ubuntu and .deb packaging in general so there will be kinks in the road. Once again I hope this explanation is sufficient enough for you and we are very sorry to have hurt your feelings