Thread: Dualbooting BT4 nd Ubuntu(gnome)

Default Dualbooting BT4 nd Ubuntu(gnome)

Hi

I have a DELL laptop, which was 30gb HDD yes its small.

Now I have BT4 installed there, and I was wondering to install Ubuntu 9.04 there. Is there any problems when doing this, which one of those should be installed first; BT4 or Ubuntu.

How Much space I should use for BT4 and ubuntu?

Default Re: Dualbooting BT4 nd Ubuntu(gnome)

As a matter of preference, I would install BT first, because I know that the Ubuntu installer (Ubiquity as well, just isn't modified as heavily as BT's seems to be) will check for other installed OSes. Maybe the BT Ubiquity does, I'm not certain.

As for disk space, I'd give the most to Ubuntu, considering that it's a desktop-focused distro, vice BackTrack as a security-focused distro. 30 gigs isn't a lot to work with, and when fully installed, BackTrack (at least mine) weighs in at ~8.45Gb, and that's not including saved files (like monster wordlists and pcap files). Consider using external storage if you can't upgrade your hdd.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Well Iv been thinking to get a bigger hdd, but I dont want to do it, if BT4 and Ubuntu wouldn't work on same hdd.

Quote Originally Posted by halfdone View Post
    Well Iv been thinking to get a bigger hdd, but I dont want to do it, if BT4 and Ubuntu wouldn't work on same hdd.
    Just letting you know, I did have the type of setup your talking about (BT4 and Ubuntu on the same HDD) on my computer. The trick (Like spiidey said) is to install BT4 first, and Ubuntu second.

I would recommend getting a bigger HDD, but thats personal preference. Especially if you are going to use it for a normal computer (Music, pictures... need room for that stuff)

So yeah, it is possible.
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Well I have also an other laptop using windows 7 and it has 2x250hdd (yes there are 2 disks not 2 partitions)
    Im going to get a bigger hdd, but how big, this old dell might not understand 500gb hdd. But I have to do some research.
    This 30gb hdd is really too small. How can I see how much space is free?

Did you have any problems when you installed BT4 and ubuntu?

Did you have any problems when you installed BT4 and ubuntu?
    Well the problems I had were not problems that you are going to face (Wireless not working inside BT for instance).

The one thing that I did find is that if you do install BT on top of Ubuntu, BT's grub doesn't like putting Ubuntu into the list (which is why I recommend installing BT first.)

Why don't you try installing into the 30 Gig for practice and if it works then you can upgrade the HDD. Keep us updated on if it works for you as well (because this question gets asked on a regular basis.)
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Now I have 8gb free space, so Im not trying now, but at next week Im going to get a new hdd and Ill report then.

First I just got to find out how big hdds dell supports (is 250/500Gb too big)

This 30gb hdd is really too small. How can I see how much space is free?
    In a Konsole, run:

df -h
    Depending on the age of your hardware, you might not be able to go bigger than 32Gb, because large disks might not be supported by the board or BIOS, so you just might end up stuck with the 30 and having to use external storage which may end up being more bulky and cumbersome (and USB 1.0 is slow and sucky!) than you might want on a laptop.

Hard Drive Size Limitations and Barriers, The Basics
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Well it seems that it supports up to 80gb hdd it cost about 100€, so its really expensive (500Gb is 80-90€)

So Im not going to get bigger hdd. I used VMware and installed Ubuntu to usb stick and in my laptop it was really slow. BT4 from usb stick is much faster. and its also in hdd.

I have also external hdd and an other laptop, so this just stays BT4 laptop.

Hi I just wanted to report that I successfully installed Ubuntu 9.10 next to BT4 and it works well. I also add BT4 repos to Ubuntu and installed some tools.
    Last edited by halfdone; 04-01-2010 at 04:52 PM.