Thread: Linux software.

Just burned his ISO

Default Linux software.

Sorry for asking and I am sure that when I use google I might get some answers but I rather ask people with experience for the simple fact that theey might know something better then google has to offer.

1. Is there any software for Linux that can be used to extend my screen to the TV so it becomes possible to watch movies on the TV?

2. Can I install Back Track to my HD from the USB?

3. Where should I start to learn more about the OS behind back track?

Thanks in advance.

1. Be more specific, what sort of connector do you have from your video card?

2. Yes

3. There are courses available (of course you have to pay) but its well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade II View Post
    BackTrack IS the OS. If you want to learn how to use BackTrack as an OS, learn Linux. BackTrack 4 is built based on a Debian kernel source and Ubuntu packaging, so focus on those distributions to get an idea of how BackTrack is constructed.

If you want to learn how to use the tools in BackTrack for security testing, Offensive Security offer some really good courses.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Sorry for asking and I am sure that when I use google I might get some answers but I rather ask people with experience for the simple fact that theey might know something better then google has to offer.
    1. Is there any software for Linux that can be used to extend my screen to the TV so it becomes possible to watch movies on the TV?
    Which is why one really wouldn't ask (semantics aside) a search engine but rather a more dedicated forum or website for such things, like ohh I don't know linux questions perhaps. Or maybe Linux Tv . BTW(by the way) both of which came from google.
    2. Can I install Back Track to my HD from the USB?
    This question would be appropriate for this forum however.
    This answer lies within.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    This answer lies within.
    No offense but I was referring to the OS and not the software provided in it. Are the Sticky topics still up to date?

Next to that how do I know if back track comes with the following (trying to install DC++)?
    libgtk2.0-dev
    libgtkmm-2.4-dev
    libglademm-2.4-dev
    zlib1g-dev
    libbz2-dev
    g++-3.4
    libgtk2.0-bin
    libgtk2.0-0
    libgtk2.0-common
    libgtkmm-2.4-1
    libglademm-2.4-1

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Next to that how do I know if back track comes with the following (trying to install DC++)?
    I think to get a list off all installed packages, you do:

Code:
    dpkg --get-selections | less
    A handy thing to do is just to try install all those packages using "aptget", e.g. by doing:

Code:
    apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev libgtkmm-2.4-dev libglademm-2.4-dev
    It will tell you if they're already installed.

By the way, if you're installing a program by using "aptget" then it should automatically download all the other packages required (i.e. you shouldn't need to go installing everything by yourself).
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Just burned his ISO

Thanks in advance.
    You might want to give Mythbuntu a shot. It's based on Ubuntu like BackTrack.