Thread: Install size of BT4 for Asus eee pc 4g?

Just burned his ISO

Smile Install size of BT4 for Asus eee pc 4g?

Hi all ,
    Hope someone can help me please--have searched in a few forums , but no real answer .
    I have an asus eee pc 4g with ubuntu 9.0 installed , it works fine and I can use airoscript , aircrack ,etc .
    I have a usb stick(2gb--about 1.4gb used for BT4) with BT4 on it and it works as a live cd --but ...I cant get wireless manager to work --I can use the aircrack suite ,so I know the wireless is working , but I cant connect to AP's that I can detect!
    The other issue is that when I try to install BT4 directly onto the asus HD I get errors at the end of the install involving the partioning of the disc ....any idea how much space is needed?
    Big massive thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by juvenilemonday View Post
    The other issue is that when I try to install BT4 directly onto the asus HD I get errors at the end of the install involving the partioning of the disc ....any idea how much space is needed?
    5GB and change for BT4 Prefinal. Obviously you won't be able to fit this on a 4GB drive. If you want to run BT4 Prefinal on a 4GB eeePC you will need to run it using the USB squashfs method.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Many thanks for the reply , I will look into the squash method you mentioned , any ideas on the wireless problem? or would that be because it is running off the USB stick?
    btw , like the Nancy Astor quote .

Quote Originally Posted by juvenilemonday View Post
    Many thanks for the reply , I will look into the squash method you mentioned , any ideas on the wireless problem? or would that be because it is running off the USB stick?
    Yep, squashfs is what is used in BT4 to compress the filesystem that is loaded when the system is booted from DVD or USB. You may be able to (in theory) copy this squashfs image to the eeePC "hard drive" and boot from it, but it would be awkward to setup and wouldnt give you the normal benefits of a hard drive install (it would work like the USB stick boot method, only with no USB stick required).

I dont think the wireless issue has anything to do with the USB stick, I think its just a general network configuration issue. BackTrack doesn't configure its networking as easily and automatically as Ubuntu (its a deliberate design choice) so you have to configure it yourself. Theres info here on the forum and on the 'Net about how to do this.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Big thanks for your help , I guess short of buying another SSD for the asus I will just run it off the USB --i used the command ifconfig -a to see all of my interfaces and then brought up wlan0 . Will keep reading and learning .
    thanks for going easy on my first post , much appreciated.