Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best All-Around Wireless USB Dongle?

Just burned his ISO

Default Best All-Around Wireless USB Dongle?

I looked through the compatibility list here. To much information!!!

So, let me ask this: I'd like to see every packet that is generated during a wireless operation, from initiation to conclusion.

I also need to be able to monitor as well as inject during any security related handshaking (WEP/WPA, etc.).

So, what should I buy?

Thanks,

Ray - CISSP, CEH

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rayj00 View Post
    So, what should I buy?
    This. One should never utter the words "too much information" in this line of work. That will teach you all the right stuff about how to select your antenna, as well as make notes on what good ones they recommend.

Plus it counts towards your CISSP credits each year.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    This. One should never utter the words "too much information" in this line of work. That will teach you all the right stuff about how to select your antenna, as well as make notes on what good ones they recommend.

Plus it counts towards your CISSP credits each year.
    Understood. I guess I was looking for one of them to say "THIS IS THE ONE THAT DOES IT ALL"!!! Maybe it doesn't exist?

And yes, I am considering taking that course.

Ray - CISSP, CEH

Maybe it doesn't exist?
    Oh it does, we all suggest the alfa, but I, like many others, refuse to spoonfeed, and it's far better that you know about these things before going on blind faith anyway (for example I rarely use an alfa, there is nothing wrong with the chipset in my laptop, but if you haven't done the research/training, then you're not going to know this).

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Just burned his ISO

Oh it does, we all suggest the alfa, but I, like many others, refuse to spoonfeed, and it's far better that you know about these things before going on blind faith anyway (for example I rarely use an alfa, there is nothing wrong with the chipset in my laptop, but if you haven't done the research/training, then you're not going to know this).
    There are 3 Alfa's on the list?

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the chip set in my laptop (Realtek RTL8191SE), but I'm running BT4 from a VM so I need the USB dongle.

Thanks,

Ray - CISSP, CEH

There are 3 Alfa's on the list?
    Told you no spoonfeeding

Enjoy the course, lots to learn there and really cheap.

Just burned his ISO

Told you no spoonfeeding

Enjoy the course, lots to learn there and really cheap.
    So, would you recommend that whatever I get, it supports 802.11n?
    I doubt my Qwest DSL Actiontec Wireless Gateway supports it. It's about
    3 years old. Maybe I'll do a little research to see if Qwest offers another
    box....

Thanks again for your help.

Ray

So, would you recommend that whatever I get, it supports 802.11n?
    n is definitely going to be the way of the future. Not a single apple product doesn't support it and so on. If you can find an n spec card that does what you want, then definitely go for it.

Just burned his ISO

im also in the market for a new usb nic, ive been looking all around the forums
    and really havent found too much.

on newegg, look up the EDIMAX EW-7318USG
    on the first review the person purchased it for backtrack 4 and said it would out of the box. so im looking at that one but i dont want to close out my options

also i cant find the wiki at all, i must be blind. can someone please provide the link. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by bzzdsurfer View Post
    also i cant find the wiki at all, i must be blind. can someone please provide the link. haha.
    Google for "backtrack wiki" follow the first search result then follow the link near the top of the page from the old wiki to the new one.

As for the rest of your post I'm not sure what you expect to hear that hasn't already been stated in the posts above yours, especially since you haven't really stated any wireless card criteria that you are particularly interested in.

The standard recommendation that we make as to what card to get has already been mentioned by Gitsnik above.

EDIT: See my later post in this thread for more context on the issue of which card to get.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast