Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Best All-Around Wireless USB Dongle?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default Best All-Around Wireless USB Dongle?

    I looked through the compatibility list here. To much information!!!

    So, let me ask this: I'd like to see every packet that is generated during a wireless operation, from initiation to conclusion.

    I also need to be able to monitor as well as inject during any security related handshaking (WEP/WPA, etc.).

    So, what should I buy?

    Thanks,

    Ray - CISSP, CEH

  2. #2
    Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Crystal Wind
    Posts
    851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rayj00 View Post
    So, what should I buy?
    This. One should never utter the words "too much information" in this line of work. That will teach you all the right stuff about how to select your antenna, as well as make notes on what good ones they recommend.

    Plus it counts towards your CISSP credits each year.
    Still not underestimating the power...

    There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

  3. #3
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    This. One should never utter the words "too much information" in this line of work. That will teach you all the right stuff about how to select your antenna, as well as make notes on what good ones they recommend.

    Plus it counts towards your CISSP credits each year.
    Understood. I guess I was looking for one of them to say "THIS IS THE ONE THAT DOES IT ALL"!!! Maybe it doesn't exist?

    And yes, I am considering taking that course.

    Ray - CISSP, CEH

  4. #4
    Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Crystal Wind
    Posts
    851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rayj00 View Post
    Maybe it doesn't exist?
    Oh it does, we all suggest the alfa, but I, like many others, refuse to spoonfeed, and it's far better that you know about these things before going on blind faith anyway (for example I rarely use an alfa, there is nothing wrong with the chipset in my laptop, but if you haven't done the research/training, then you're not going to know this).
    Still not underestimating the power...

    There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

  5. #5
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    Oh it does, we all suggest the alfa, but I, like many others, refuse to spoonfeed, and it's far better that you know about these things before going on blind faith anyway (for example I rarely use an alfa, there is nothing wrong with the chipset in my laptop, but if you haven't done the research/training, then you're not going to know this).
    There are 3 Alfa's on the list?

    I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the chip set in my laptop (Realtek RTL8191SE), but I'm running BT4 from a VM so I need the USB dongle.

    Thanks,

    Ray - CISSP, CEH

  6. #6
    Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Crystal Wind
    Posts
    851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rayj00 View Post
    There are 3 Alfa's on the list?
    Told you no spoonfeeding

    Enjoy the course, lots to learn there and really cheap.
    Still not underestimating the power...

    There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

  7. #7
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default

    im also in the market for a new usb nic, ive been looking all around the forums
    and really havent found too much.

    on newegg, look up the EDIMAX EW-7318USG
    on the first review the person purchased it for backtrack 4 and said it would out of the box. so im looking at that one but i dont want to close out my options


    also i cant find the wiki at all, i must be blind. can someone please provide the link. haha.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator lupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bzzdsurfer View Post
    also i cant find the wiki at all, i must be blind. can someone please provide the link. haha.
    Google for "backtrack wiki" follow the first search result then follow the link near the top of the page from the old wiki to the new one.

    As for the rest of your post I'm not sure what you expect to hear that hasn't already been stated in the posts above yours, especially since you haven't really stated any wireless card criteria that you are particularly interested in.

    The standard recommendation that we make as to what card to get has already been mentioned by Gitsnik above.

    EDIT: See my later post in this thread for more context on the issue of which card to get.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

    The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    The standard recommendation that we make as to what card to get has already been mentioned by Gitsnik above.
    Lupin I am only quoting your post for simplicity, but one should also remember that if "we" recommend something and especially from somewhere then it could tie the Dev team/Off-Sec crew it with a specific brand name or company, which may not be their wish.
    As such one man's treasure is an others trash.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator lupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Lupin I am only quoting your post for simplicity, but one should also remember that if "we" recommend something and especially from somewhere then it could tie the Dev team/Off-Sec crew it with a specific brand name or company, which may not be their wish.
    As such one man's treasure is an others trash.
    Yes, you are right.

    Reworded:

    The standard recommendation that many people on this forum make as to what card to get has already been mentioned by Gitsnik above. Be aware that this card is not officially endorsed by the BackTrack development team or any member of this forum.

    And also be aware that I dont own any stock in Alfa corporation, but I plan to buy some before suggesting to a few more people that they buy Alfa cards.

    (That last part was a joke, the rest was serious.)
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

    The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •