Thread: Intel(R) wireless wifi link 4965AGN & Backtrack 3?

Just burned his ISO

Question Intel(R) wireless wifi link 4965AGN & Backtrack 3?

hi,

When i use backtrack, firefox doesn't connect, there seems to be no internet connection in backtrack, only in windows vista.

Also when i type

ifconfig wlan0 down
    it comes up that i have to install aircrack-ng?- how do i do this, if im using a backtrack live cd?

Please help,

Thanks,

Just burned his ISO

I am a Linux n00b. I only really started looking into Linux properly yesterday when I downloaded Back Track but I think I have learnt enough already to answer your questions.
    Firstly you need to give more info...
    What GUI did you load uP?? There are different wireless tools in each.
    I found I had to use the KDE GUI as this was only one that had a wireless config utility that allowed me to type in my WPA details. The Flux GUI only support a WEP hex key (as least that is all I have found so far).

If I Have read your post correctly you are saying that when you type ifconfig wlan0 down it tells you need to install aircrack??
    I can't see how this would happen as I thought IFconfig is a built in command to the Linux OS that allows you to configure WIRED interfaces so why would this rely on aircrack?
    Also, what version of back track are you using. Mine was back track 3 in which I am giving my examples from.
    As I said I am a complete n00b so I may be wrong about the above but I would find it quite strange if you did need aircrack to use the ifconfig command...

Just burned his ISO

If I Have read your post correctly you are saying that when you type ifconfig wlan0 down it tells you need to install aircrack??
    yes it tells me to install aircrack. i'm using backtrack 3. Firefox doesn't work in backtrack 3, only in vista. My laptopo is an acer 6920g.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Dear Lord what a catastrophe.

@OP You need to start the networking service prior to using said service.
    There are plenty of threads here on how to do that.
    Both of you might want to start looking at the same things and passing links back and forth through you PM boxes. That way both of you can learn something.
    Good luck
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

hi archangel.amael,

thanks for your reply however im a bit confused with your comment:

@OP You need to start the networking service prior to using said service.
    So basically are you saying that i must configure the internet in backtrack 3 eg. host etc.

Mainly, its my problem with the konsole telling me to install aircrack after a command i type (ifconfig wlan0)

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olly163 View Post
    hi archangel.amael,
    thanks for your reply however im a bit confused with your comment:
    So basically are you saying that i must configure the internet in backtrack 3 eg. host etc.
    Mainly, its my problem with the konsole telling me to install aircrack after a command i type (ifconfig wlan0)
    No actually I am telling you to configure your network card so that you can use it. There is a thread "configure your wireless card" or how to configure wireless cards. It's a sticky so it will be up on top. Have a look at it. Not to mention there are probably about a 400 threads on your card here as well. Check some of those out.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.