Thread: Problems running Back Track 4.

Just burned his ISO

Default Problems running Back Track 4.

I am trying to run Back Track 4 on my Acer Aspire 3050 but whatever I try to do I can not seem to get it to work.

I downloaded the .ISO from the remote-exploit site and checked the MD5 sum as I was told to do in an article that describes how to burn a Linux Live CD. Then I burned the .ISO file on DVD-R using CDBurnerXP Pro.

Now when I try to boot from my CD drive and only my CD drive it tells me no operating system could be found.

After that I tried to run it in a Sun Virtual Box. There it told me the same:
    FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.
    However when I try to run the .ISO image directly in the Virtual Box and not from the DVD it works.

What could I be doing wrong during the burning process? Does the disklabel: bt4-label.png offered on remote-exploit has something to do with it or do I need to unpack the .ISO first before burning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

are you burning the ISO as a file?? if so make sure u burn the Image.

if you are, then try reburning the image at a lower speed (x1), if that dont work maybe a different disk.

You tried this on a CD drive when the burnt media is on DVD-R instead of CD-R? umm wth? and if its not that have you checked the burnt disk would pass MD5 check? if not, its probably the lens are dirty and needs cleaning :P..

There is another alternative, use usb flash drives.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    You tried this on a CD drive when the burnt media is on DVD-R instead of CD-R? umm wth? and if its not that have you checked the burnt disk would pass MD5 check? if not, its probably the lens are dirty and needs cleaning :P..

There is another alternative, use usb flash drives.
    Could that be a problem when you burn it to a DVD? I bought a Linux Suse box a while ago and I thought that those where also images that where burned on a DVD.

I tried to look for tutorials with a step by step explanation for installing using a flash USB but I could not find any for Back Track 4.

So guess shortly my questions are.

1. Is it wrong to burn the .ISO to DVD instead of CD?
    2. The .ISO for back track 4 is over 1 Gig, are there CD's for this?
    3. Would a 2 Gig. Flash memory stick work?

1. No, burning an ISO to a DVD is fine (required for BT4).
    2. No, burn it to a DVD
    3. 2GB flash drive is enough for booting, yes.

Here is a step-by-step guide. If you don't want a persistent installation then simply skip most of those steps. Just do the step where you use unbooten on the USB drive.

Backtrack 4 – USB/Persistent Changes/Nessus | Infosec Ramblings

Just burned his ISO

Thanks all I managed to get it to run using my 2 Gig USB stick. Jumping over to the general section now for a few basic questions I have in Linux itself.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade II View Post
    Thanks all I managed to get it to run using my 2 Gig USB stick. Jumping over to the general section now for a few basic questions I have in Linux itself.
    Actually try here first, there will be better help for you there. Or even here .
    We don't do basic linux to much here.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Actually try here first, there will be better help for you there. Or evenhere .
    We don't do basic linux to much here.
    Thanks for the first link, think that will be pretty useful.