Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1000mW - Dangerous power level?

Just burned his ISO

Default 1000mW - Dangerous power level?

Hi,

I was looking at purchasing either the 500mW or 1000mW Alfa AWUS036H.

The only thing that concerns me is the power. I'm not the kind of person who goes around screaming that cell phones give you cancer, but I do know certain levels of this stuff can be detrimental to your health.

I'm not going to duct tape it to my face, but it is going to be sitting in the same room with me most of the day. What is the normal power level for a wifi network? I want to grab the AWUS036H because I hear it's the best, I'm not just looking for the most powerful. Sensitivity matters.

tl;dr - Is this dangerous at all?

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

If the FDA approved it then you can implant the bloody thing in your skull and still live to be 90.

Seriously, in developed countries, doctors and the FDA are excessively precautious. You only have to worry about these kinds of things when you're living in a developing country (like me right now!).
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    If the FDA approved it then you can implant the bloody thing in your skull and still live to be 90.

Seriously, in developed countries, doctors and the FDA are excessively precautious. You only have to worry about these kinds of things when you're living in a developing country (like me right now!).
    What the hell are you talking about? I've never seen a FDA tag on wifi equipment.

This sort of question has been asked many times read here and here

In a nutshell, if you're that worried about radiation, simply don't buy the device, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go straight to jail!

If you dont want kids walk around with it in your pocket .. cheaper than the surgery.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What the hell are you talking about? I've never seen a FDA tag on wifi equipment.

Shows how much I know. I thought the USA had some sort of agency that has to give every electrical advice the go-ahead before it can go on sale? I thought that's what the FDA was?! Seeing as how the Alfa is on sale legally in the US, I figured it passed whatever tests they put it through.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Shows how much I know. I thought the USA had some sort of agency that has to give every electrical advice the go-ahead before it can go on sale? I thought that's what the FDA was?! Seeing as how the Alfa is on sale legally in the US, I figured it passed whatever tests they put it through.
    You're talking about the FCC, not the FDA. The FDA is the Food and Drug Administration. They make sure our Coco-Puffs don't give us cancer. Just because the FCC okay's a wifi product doesn't mean it can't harm someone if they are using it wrong.

I believe the FDA only regulates food, drugs, medical equipment and cosmetics. The FCC regulates devices that emit RF signals.

EDIT: I see Barry beat me to it.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Maybe the FDA should take over grading Wifi devices much like it's done with Beef now.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Maybe the FDA should take over grading Wifi devices much like it's done with Beef now.
    Heh, so D-Link devices would only be good for dog food....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast