Thread: Rapid 7 acquires Metasploit -

Junior Member imported_freedom56's Avatar

Default Rapid 7 acquires Metasploit -

As most of you know by now rapid 7 has acquired HD Moore's Metasploit project. (metasploit dot com (also rapid7 dot com))

After reading several blogs and reports on the various websites, it seems clear they intend to keep Metasploit open source as well as integrate it into Rapid 7's software. I hope this remains the case, however there seems to be growing concern that it will eventually go completely commercial.

I don't think HD would allow that and since he is the new CSO for Rapid 7 and will remain chief architect for MS i hope he has some control over that. Others have said that this merger will be good for the commercial security tool scene as it will generate more competition and possible lower prices (yeah right).

My question is two fold

1. is this a good move for MS users? (it will allow for more resources to be put toward the project)
    2. Do you think MS will eventually be commercial only?
    "One of the main causes for the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs."

Quote Originally Posted by freedom56 View Post
    1. is this a good move for MS users? (it will allow for more resources to be put toward the project)
    It's hard to say. Personally I think HD & gang deserve some decent cash for the work they've done and the work they will do. In addition, if they become developers paid by a company then hopefully some of the testing and other grunty kind of work can be taken off them so they have more time to focus on the things that we as consumers of MS actually care about (i.e.: Exploits that work & large variety in exploits [targets]).
    My prediction ... it'll end up sort of like Nessus.

The main framework and a base set of payloads/exploits will remain free but the more advanced or up-to-date payloads/exploits will require payment or delayed release (like the Nessus plugin feeds).
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by freedom56 View Post
    For now yes and yes (respectively).

/me gets to coding the next gen framework in python
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    My prediction ... it'll end up sort of like Nessus.
    Which is how OpenVAS got started.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

There are already other threads on this subject, no need for another one.