Thread: Kismet-Newcore Multiple Sources Problem

Default Kismet-Newcore Multiple Sources Problem

Hello all, been a while!

I'm working with kismet-newcore and have run into a problem which I can't find a solution for.

I'm trying to use multiple sources (4 cards right now) but I have been unable to get more than 2 cards working.

Whenever I add a 3rd card (wlan3 for example) I get the following error:

"mac80211_setchannel() failed to connect to generic netlink"

I haven't been able to find any info on this error. I have googled, checked the kismet forum and searched the BT forums (although I could have missed a post on this subject I guess)

I've tried setting the sources via both the Kismet_UI and the kismet.conf file, and still get the same error when I try to add a 3rd card. I have also tried to specify "type=rt73" in the kismet.conf which didn't change the error.

All the cards are the same: TP-Link WN321G USB using RT73 module.

I don't have any of these cards connected to an existing AP or have any IP assigned. I have also tried the option to not use a VAP (aka wlan#mon interface) without success.

Has anyone here been able to use more than 2 interfaces successfully with Kismet-Newcore?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I updated kismet-newcore about a week ago using whatever version was in the bt4 repository at the time.

Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated...

Regards, cybrsnpr

I'll give it a shot when I get home. They won't all be the same adapter for me though. I used to run four adapters at the same time, but that was with the old version of kismet. I've since given two of my wifi cards to renderman to play with, so I'm short. But I can run two atheros based mini-pci and one rt based usb and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'll give it a shot when I get home. They won't all be the same adapter for me though. I used to run four adapters at the same time, but that was with the old version of kismet. I've since given two of my wifi cards to renderman to play with, so I'm short. But I can run two atheros based mini-pci and one rt based usb and see what happens.
    Barry;

I don't think the problem is card specific (though I guess it could be), so please do give it a try. I appreciate a 2nd set of eyes!

BTW, I bought the Janus box from Kyle at DEFCON a couple years ago, so I've had pretty good success using multiple cards with the older kismet as well. That's why this problem is annoying me. I'm trying to replace the bigger Janus box with something smaller using a netbook and multiple USB cards.

Thanks again for the assist!

cybrsnpr

cybrsnpr,
    I've been playing with Newcore for a while, but never more than two sources at once, so I can't give any real advice. It's an interesting problem, though.

Did you ask at the Kismet Forums? Mike (dragorn) is pretty helpful if you document the error/what you've tried, as you did in the first post. He just gets a little cranky at people who don't RTFM and don't document their issues.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Thorn;

I wanted to hit up the BT forums braintrust before I went and bothered Mike.

But, if I can't find an answer here, I'll certainly try posting at the Kismet forums.

Cheers...

cybrsnpr

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    Barry;

I don't think the problem is card specific (though I guess it could be), so please do give it a try. I appreciate a 2nd set of eyes!

BTW, I bought the Janus box from Kyle at DEFCON a couple years ago, so I've had pretty good success using multiple cards with the older kismet as well. That's why this problem is annoying me. I'm trying to replace the bigger Janus box with something smaller using a netbook and multiple USB cards.

Thanks again for the assist!

cybrsnpr
    Heh, a few of us over at the Netstumbler forums built some rough clones of that box, myself included! I've got three sources running on it right now. I just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on it a couple weeks ago and had to set up kismet tonight. Latest svn copy(as of about 20 minutes ago).

Crap! Must be something I'm doing wrong then. Or maybe it's the multiple USB cards? Or maybe Mars and Pluto aren't in correct alignment! I'll try the latest SVN tomorrow and see if that helps. I also posted over at the kismet forums. Hopefully Mike will have an idea or 2.

Thanks for the testing, I appreciate it.

Regards,

cybrsnpr

Default FIX - Kismet-Newcore Multiple Sources Problem

Just to close the thread and provide an answer. I took Barry's advice (and also dragorn's at the kismet forum) and updated to the latest svn build (rev 2988).

That fixed the problem. I've now got 4 USB cards connected via a USB squid working on kismet-newcore. Next up, I'll get 4 more cards and see how 8 wireless cards work at the same time.

Thanks to all for the assistance.

A happy and safe new year to all...

cybrsnpr