Thread: Using my Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g wireless card with backtrack

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Using my Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g wireless card with backtrack

Ok, so I have been looking for a couple of hours now and have found no solution to me problem. I have a Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g netowork card and the driver is located at c:\windows\system32\Drivers\athr.sys

When I am in backtrack and type iwconfig it just says there are no cards or something.

Hope you can help and thanks in advance.

WF

Yh I am pretty new to backtrack so try and keep things simple.

Quote Originally Posted by WHiiTE FLaMe View Post
    Ok, so I have been looking for a couple of hours now and have found no solution to me problem. I have a Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g netowork card and the driver is located at c:\windows\system32\Drivers\athr.sys

When I am in backtrack and type iwconfig it just says there are no cards or something.

Hope you can help and thanks in advance.

WF

Yh I am pretty new to backtrack so try and keep things simple.
    Moved thread to appropriate forum. The wireless forum is for discussing attack and defense of wireless networks, not for asking how to get your wireless card working in BackTrack.

Regards your problem, what did you learn during your several hours of searching?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Regards your problem, what did you learn during your several hours of searching?
    I have a Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g netowork card and the driver is located at c:\windows\system32\Drivers\athr.sys

Junior Member imported_freedom56's Avatar

So...are you running BT in a VMware environment, booting from a live CD/USB, or are you dual booting?

If you are wanting to use BT (a linux distro) why would you store your drivers in a windows directory?

Might I recommend learning a little about linux and installing drivers on another more user friendly version of linux prior to jumping into an advanced distro like BT?

Also this might help...(remove space between http: and //)

http: //lmgtfy.com/?q=installing+linux+drivers+AR9285
    "One of the main causes for the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs."

Quote Originally Posted by freedom56 View Post
    So...are you running BT in a VMware environment, booting from a live CD/USB, or are you dual booting?

If you are wanting to use BT (a linux distro) why would you store your drivers in a windows directory?

Might I recommend learning a little about linux and installing drivers on another more user friendly version of linux prior to jumping into an advanced distro like BT?

What????

You mean you actually need details before you can solve this problem? What kind of mind reader are you?

@OP, assuming you are still with us, I'm going to suggest (as I probably would have done in the first place had I not been short of time) that you get some basic Linux knowledge under your belt BEFORE trying BackTrack. The fact that you are trying to use a Windows driver from a Windows path to access your wireless card in Linux (yes I did notice this thanks Nick) is a good sign that an advanced Linux distribution is probably not for you at the moment. Ubuntu is probably a good choice....
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Default ...

I have used ubuntu, but I have little experiance with this sort of Linux, thereofre I am moving on to a more complex system and therefore need some instruction on doingh so. In my hours of searching I basically learnt that I needed a driver. Thats pretty much it, hence I came here to ask the questiona and it seems I am just getting vague respons. But thats perhaps because my information was too vague:

I am using a HP DV-6 laptop,
    I am booting of a DVD iso. I am in the desktop environment.
    I am using Backtrack 3.
    I type:
    iwconfig or ifconfig -a and it just says no wireless in eth0 eth1 or the other one which I forgot the name.

I would like to know:

1) Where I get the appropriate driver.
    2) Where to put the appropriate driver
    3) How to run this through BT3

If needs be I can dual boot I used to dual with Ubuntu on my desktop PC.

I thought I would say the location of my windows driver since I though this might have been exported into linux but now I see not, that answers some questions.

I may be a n00b to linux but I am pretty good with the computer and am not totally new or stupid. There is obviously someone here who can help, and you all seem to be linux veterans so just give me a hand if you have the time please.

Use BT4 Prefinal instead its very similar to Ubuntu so you should be more confortable in it and it also has better hardware support.

When you boot into BT4 try some of the basic Linux networking commands you will no doubt already be aware of from your research (its hard to read much about networking on BackTrack without running into lots of commands to try), and have a read through some of the other references about using this card on BackTrack. If you dont understand whats going on in those other references you will want to do some reading on how Linux drivers are installed.

Id also encourage you not just to use the links I have provided but to search further on your own if you still don't understand. If a particular command keeps appearing in pages you read for example, check out the man page and do research on that command to find out how it works and what it does. This level of independant thinking and the desire to try and resolve your own problems is what we expect from people here. Generally we won't spoonfeed answers here, and will instead give a pointer in the right direction which it is then your responsibility to follow up on.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by freedom56 View Post

Ok, so I have been looking for a couple of hours now and have found no solution to me problem.
    Yh i did use google and look at the first result... Its this thread.

Yh i did use google and look at the first result... Its this thread.
    Just a thought, but perhaps you should also read some of the other results.

I dont know, like...

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Get bt4 essecially on a hp dv-6 laptop. Thats quite a new laptop and the bt3 kernel is old. You will have much better hardware support in backtrack 4.