Thread: Dell Vostro 1720 boot issues

Just burned his ISO

Default Dell Vostro 1720 boot issues

After using BT3 successfully on my NC10 for quite a while I decided to dual boot my new work Vostro 1720 laptop to BT4/XP specifically to use the VoIP tools.

Everything set up well and all devices were working properly for about a week
    I sorted the lack of keyboard with the 18042.reset and i8042.nomux commands and all was well.

After a while I updated BT4 and upgraded to the Nvidia drivers and I thought had a stable system. Then out of the blue every time I use windows the grub menu is lost on the next boot! It shows a flash of "Grub loading stage 1.5" and then reboots.

I have taken to leaving a grub boot cd in the drive and this will boot me to a basic grub front end, At this point the I then edit the boot menu to give me a keyboard once it boots.

Having booted to backtrack I then Sudo grub, go to Root (HD0,4) and finally setup (hd0) and reboot. From this point it is fine until I next boot windows where after the windows session the grub menu is missing again

If anyone has any ideas I would be really grateful to hear them !

Check your config on Windows (Boot Loader)
    This is somewhat strange, also check for the boot options on Grub, maybe a malformed configuration ?
    :cool:
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB