Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant connect to my router WEP

Just burned his ISO

Default Cant connect to my router WEP

I have googled, searched these forms. Seen alot of different ways to over come this, however none of them are working.

I can see my router, although it wont let me connect to it. It goes through the whole authentication process. But hangs for a good while on "Obtaining IP Address" then it goes to "Not Connected". Not sure if this has to do with WICD, or its a bug in the Wifi card. Really could use any kind of help.

I have tried going through the menu to Serivces -- Networking and turning it on that way. I have tried to do it manually by bringing up ifconfig wlan0. Tried even the small scripts I have seen in these forums.

Don't double post OP, wait for your posts to be approved by a moderator during your first three days.

Regards your problem Id suggest that you try it from the command line first (the old BT wiki has some good example commands). If that doesn't work post back here with the exact commands you used, the order you used them in and any error messages you received. Also include information on what type of card you have - and make sure you also Google form information relative to that card - look for BackTrack specific and general Linux information.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Sorry bout the double post. I had made the other post then received an email saying I could only post in the newbie section.

here are the commands that I have tried:

Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid () key ()

Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid <your essid here>
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 channel <your channel here>
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 key <your key here>
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    sudo dhclient wlan0

Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
    Said I dont have NetworkManager installed

Code:
    update-rc.d NetworkManager defaults
    Says file does not exist

Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    These are all the ones I have tried before my original post. None of them let me get the job done.

These are not in an exact order. For the most part it was one set of code then logging out and booting into my Ubuntu side to get online to look at other stuff that I could use.

forgot about my network card:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

and also should mention I have BT4 installed on my HDD

Just burned his ISO

this may be an obvious question, but did you choose the right encryption in the "advanced settings" ..? i'm not sure if the wicd client manager will choose the right settings by default.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by xsv2009 View Post
    this may be an obvious question, but did you choose the right encryption in the "advanced settings" ..? i'm not sure if the wicd client manager will choose the right settings by default.
    Yes I had made sure I chose the right encryption in the advanced settings. WICD does not choose the right settings for you.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by k33bz View Post

/etc/init.d/networking start
    /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

Said I dont have NetworkManager installed
    Notice above what you typed, I highlighted if for you.
    In linux there is a difference between a capital letter and a lower case one on the command line. So NetworkManager is not going to be installed.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Notice above what you typed, I highlighted if for you.
    In linux there is a difference between a capital letter and a lower case one on the command line. So NetworkManager is not going to be installed.
    Still a no go.

Code:
    bash: /etc/init.d/networkmanager: No such file or directory

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Maybe I confused you a bit earlier
    Here look at this thread.
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bt4...tml#post120843

Once you get to about post number 5 you can probably stop reading that thread.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Honestly that does not help, except point out the first command I had was right but will not work. I get the same response.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

You could always try accessing the internet using basic command line commands.

First, associate with the access point by doing:
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid Monkey key 5123461234
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    Next, just do:

Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 | grep "Link Quality"
    If your link quality is 0, then the association failed (maybe you're out of range or maybe there's MAC filtering).

Next you can try to use DHCP to get an IP address:

Code:
    sudo dhclient wlan0
    Look at the output you get from this program to see if it was successful.

For a step-by-step guide for connecting to the internet at the command line in Linux, check this out:

Linux Internet Connection - Virjacode
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast