Thread: How do you deal with troublesome downloads?

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Default How do you deal with troublesome downloads?

There's nothing more horrible than downloading something for 20 minutes... and then the connection just freezes, and you can't get it going again so you need to start downloading from scratch. Maybe you've got a crappy internet connection, or maybe the server you're downloading from is crappy.

Anyway, I'm wondering what's the best way around this. Here's what I use currently:

Code:
    wget --tries=0 --timeout=120 --wait-retry=5 --retry-connrefused http://www.XXXXX.com/XXXXXX
    then if that were to freeze, I'd add "continue" to the mix:

Code:
    wget --continue --tries=0 --timeout=120 --wait-retry=5 --retry-connrefused http://www.XXXXX.com/XXXXXX
    Any other ideas on how to deal with troublesome downloads?
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Doesn't firefox now include a download manager as part of the browser? I am thinking of Download managers themselves. I know this is not a total solution but merely another cog in the machine.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Yeah Firefox has a download manager but I've had trouble with it freezing and not letting me restart downloads.

Plus when I get pissed off with dodgy downloads I like to get gritty and open up a terminal!

Plus it would be good to have solution that will work on every Linux machine, even if you're not running X server.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Developer

You can use curl

cat file-that-failed-to-download.zip | curl -C - http://www.somewhere.com/file-I-want-to-download.zip >successfully-downloaded.zip

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    Yeah Firefox has a download manager but I've had trouble with it freezing and not letting me restart downloads.
    Plus when I get pissed off with dodgy downloads I like to get gritty and open up a terminal! Plus it would be good to have solution that will work on every Linux machine, even if you're not running X server.
    Granted command line solutions generally require less resources and at times are better than a gui counterpart, there are d/l managers that are dedicated to the art. Now I can't really recommend any due to the fact that I have no need/use for them. I have used them in the past when all I had was a 56k modem.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.