Thread: Strange Error Need Help

Just burned his ISO

Default Strange Error Need Help

So, I can't copy the exact output of the error because it happens while booting the live cd. I get errors with my hard drive. (i have a gateway nv52 it should work) Both the drives soft reset failed. Then I get emask exception errors from my hard drive forever, it never boots. So, if I remove my hdd it boots fine, but I don't wanna have to do that to use backtrack, so what boot parameters can I use to disable the hard drive so linux doesn't even see it (nohd doesn't work). I've also tried many boot parameters like acpi=off which did nothing.
    Last edited by Spark1223; 03-18-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Default Re: Strange Error Need Help

You could try disabling them in the BIOS before you boot live, maybe?
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Just burned his ISO

Unfortunaly there is no bios option for that and its a laptop, continuously removing the hd is an option either idk what to do.

There is no option in the bios for that, if there had been I wouldn't be here

EDIT:
    For those interested I solved the issue without removing the hd. If you are getting block errors and {DRDY ERR} it is because your hard drive may be damaged, but fret not! There is a soultion. It just has bad blocks fix them with this here depending on your drive manufacture: Recovering Hard Disks with Bad Blocks | Hardware Secrets . See this for source of information: [ubuntu] hdd error {DRDY err} - Ubuntu Forums

Bad blocks can cause issues, nothing will fix them except a diagnostic or drive replacement. After the diagnostic no errors except, softreset failed, which is because I have an amd chipset.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 03-19-2010 at 06:02 PM.