Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: make installation easier

Just burned his ISO

Default make installation easier

i wnt backtrack 4 installation like windows 7 so every1 can install it .jus select the drive where u wnt to installl and ur done with installation.pls make the installation for dual boot easier

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aditya292004 View Post
    i wnt backtrack 4 installation like windows 7 so every1 can install it .jus select the drive where u wnt to installl and ur done with installation.pls make the installation for dual boot easier
    There is a gui based installer and there are videos as well as written tutorials.
    Not to mention that this distro is not for noobs who can't follow any one of the above. This probably includes you.
    If on the other hand you really want this request then I would suggest you donate .
    I would guess that the more you donate (minimum of $10,000) the easier it will get.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

I'd suggest he just stick with Windows 7. Problem solved.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I'd suggest he just stick with Windows 7. Problem solved.
    How do you clean puke out of a laptop?

Wait, don't answer that, I've already tried before, you don't, just throw it away.

Quote Originally Posted by aditya292004 View Post
    Someone who cant install BackTrack 4 using the current GUI installer is definitely not going to be able to use BackTrack 4 after its installed, so I don't really see the point of this.

In my opinion the installer for BT4 is about as easy as an OS installer can get, at least while still ensuring that all the necessary installation information is collected.

My personal vote is to make the installation LESS easy. It can then serve as a barrier to entry, keeping out those who otherwise would just immediately come here asking about how to configure their network, how to run things as root or what commands they can use to break into their neighbors wireless. Perhaps even add a quiz on basic Linux commands before allowing the install to finish.

Can't install it? Then you shouldn't be using it!
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

We could do something like the CTP course registration page. Just a simple protection scheme would be enough to stop most of them surely?
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    We could do something like the CTP course registration page. Just a simple protection scheme would be enough to stop most of them surely?
    Yes! Have a similar process protecting the download link!

On a side note, the CTP has the most awesome course registration process anywhere, ever. I did it just for fun a few months back, even though I won't be doing the CTP course until December...
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

prowl3r

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    My personal vote is to make the installation LESS easy.
    +1

(e.g. Gentoo)

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    My personal vote is to make the installation LESS easy. It can then serve as a barrier to entry, keeping out those who otherwise would just immediately come here asking about how to configure their network, how to run things as root or what commands they can use to break into their neighbors wireless.
    While that is indeed a tempting thought process to have, you should definitely go and have a look through the BT2 archives as well as the older newbie sections from 2007/08. The "barrier to entry" was a lot harder(that being subjective of course). There were still tons of daily "how to connect to the internet, how to install" etc. etc. questions. IMHO time and the fact some people are lazy is what makes them go away after realizing your last statement
    "Can't install it? Then you shouldn't be using it."
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    How do you clean puke out of a laptop?

Wait, don't answer that, I've already tried before, you don't, just throw it away.
    Hey now.. if big Linus himself gives it a big thumbs up, then it *can't* be puke

dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast