Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sever Security Additions

Just burned his ISO

Default Sever Security Additions

I'm running an Ubuntu Server just to get some experience in using it.
    Security-wise, the only addition I've made so far is adding port-knocking.

Can anyone recommend any other security related additions I could look at?

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

iptables, snort, rkhunter, SELinux, bastion-linux (it's a script, start with this one).

You can also do things like use OpenVAS to check the security of your local system, it's a good way to figure out what has changed when you start a new service, and the issues inherent to each service you enable.

Others will have a few more tools to suggest, those are the ones I think to start with.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Just burned his ISO

i dont recommend to you an ubuntu server, i recommend to you redhat, or debian server optimased.

useful help but under ubuntu it is not a howto:
    h x x p://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/index.en.html
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="2"]Nought's had, all's spent, ... Where our desire is got without content
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Exuro View Post
    I'm running an Ubuntu Server just to get some experience in using it. Security-wise, the only addition I've made so far is adding port-knocking.
    You may get better help at the ubuntu forums .
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    iptables, snort, rkhunter, SELinux, bastion-linux (it's a script, start with this one).

You can also do things like use OpenVAS to check the security of your local system, it's a good way to figure out what has changed when you start a new service, and the issues inherent to each service you enable.

Others will have a few more tools to suggest, those are the ones I think to start with.
    Thats a good start.

Others from the top of my head:
    ossec, chkrootkit, lids, aide, apparmor
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO aliceinwire's Avatar

labrea is a good tools
    when some one try to scan your ports it find everyone open and not only every port open but also it find open every port on the same network in every ip
    is used for slow massive scanning but is not usefull when the scanning is maked by multithread

I'm running an Ubuntu Server just to get some experience in using it.
    Security-wise, the only addition I've made so far is adding port-knocking.

BSD ...
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by wyze View Post
    BSD ...
    Is Ubuntu Server not very good? Do others recommend I switch to a BSD distro?

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Is Ubuntu Server not very good? Do others recommend I switch to a BSD distro?
    No. I swear my life by BSD, but if you have little to no experience with the command line (and I assume this is accurate by your choice of Ubuntu Server), it can be a little confusing - it also tends to be slightly out of date, harder to install things on, and different to most of the documentation.

Of the choices, if you had to, I would say start with a DragonflyBSD or FreeBSD (personally I will go FreeBSD every time and I do not like Dragonfly at the best of times), as they are the most robust and easy to boot (OpenBSD is... fun... even for someone who has been using them for years).

There is no major reason *not* to use Ubuntu server, though I would strongly suggest that if it were to go production at some point, then Debian would be a better choice.

CentOS/RedHat are a slightly different base and subsystem - they are used a lot in corporations because Red Hat is enterprise.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast