Hi there!

First of all, I'm a complete noob to BackTrack and almost complete noob to Linux (before BackTrack I used only a few live distributions and some years back I tried to use the Mandrake 10.0 distribution, but I got stuck on installing nVidia drivers =) )...

I installed the BackTrack 4 pre-final to my Vista notebook and selected various packages to download and install by the included tool... After successful downloading and almost successful installing them (with maybe two errors which I didn't note, ignored and forgot), I tried to open the OpenOffice.org Writer, which worked, but without graphics and looked weird. Another newly installed program is AmaroK, which worked just fine =)

After restarting, startx command started to start to Gnome instead of KDE (I really don't know how this got to my computer, i didn't check it for download, maybe it was bundled with something...) and I really don't know how to get the KDE back.

The thing is not that I don't like the Gnome - maybe it's a bit nicer than the KDE - but in the KDE was the menu with BackTrack apps and some apps in unusual place and it's not there in the Gnome menu. So, I can't even reach the START NETWORK link, so I can't get to the Internet depository of packages to remove or replace (?) the right ones. And also in KDE was sound OK and in Gnome there's no sound device...

I don't want to completely delete and reinstall this system, because I have a really bad Internet connection - it's limited to 6 GB per month (then I pay for every single MB =/ ) and yesterday I downloaded about 1,5 - 2 GB of packages to install there...

Would you kindly advise me how to:
1) get back to the KDE (any command line option for startx or something? startx -kde ends with error, I don't know if it really works like that),

or

2) import KDE settings (menu is enough) to the Gnome in the proper, long-time usable way

or

3) extract downloaded packages for later use in reinstalled BackTrack?

Thanks in advance for any kind responses, I know it's always funny to read lame posts like this, but I can't help myself by now... Maybe I just googled wrong, but I didn't any find solution to this problem...