Thread: What to choose from the boot screen?

Just burned his ISO

Smile What to choose from the boot screen?

Hi!

When I boot from the BT dvd, I get more boot options. But I am not sure what should I choose. Can somebody please explain what does every boot option meen?

I've never used Linux, I've never used a live CD/ DVD before. How does this work? It will put some stuff on to my C: partition?

Thanks!
    Daniel, Romania
    [B]Free your mind![/B]

a live cd or dvd generally will not manipulate your data. it may provide access to it, but does not have to. live distros were mainly used as installation mediums and have since become their own environments, do to the expanded storage capacity of read-only devices (install floppies, cds, dvds). i like to think of live distros as a means of demo-ing software before i install (or choose not to install) it.

the boot options the you see are very common among live distros, and many sites will offer insight as to what they mean, but in summary, the "suggested" boot option is generally the first listed option, and often will automatically boot after a time out. i always suggest using the default option for a first boot unless you know some secret about your hardware right up front. as you progress further down the boot list, you will find "safer" boot environments, which does not mean that the others put you at risk, but that the safer ones have a higher chance of being compatible with finicky hardware. if the default fails for you, reboot and try the failsafe. if the failsafe does not boot successfully, i suggest studying the exact choices as they are written out in the menu (i do not know the menu, so i can not help you on this).

let us know if you have success

Just burned his ISO

Smile

Thanks for your reply!

I choose the first option. But I do not know what to do from there. All it gives me is some kind of a command prompt, from what I can tell. It says "root@bt:" and it seems to be waiting for me to type something.
    I used Linux for a short while and it did not look like this. It looked just like Windows, with a taskbar, a start menu... Probably, after all, I will try other then the first option. I don't think this is the way to use BT. I'll keep trying.
    If there are some short tutorial for the first steps, I would apreciate it.
    [B]Free your mind![/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Sylver Cheetah 53 View Post
    Thanks for your reply!

I choose the first option. But I do not know what to do from there. All it gives me is some kind of a command prompt, from what I can tell. It says "root@bt:" and it seems to be waiting for me to type something.
    I used Linux for a short while and it did not look like this. It looked just like Windows, with a taskbar, a start menu... Probably, after all, I will try other then the first option. I don't think this is the way to use BT. I'll keep trying.
    If there are some short tutorial for the first steps, I would apreciate it.
    Yes there is a GUI, but you need to start it. Search and all will be revealed. You may be better off starting with a Linux disto like Ubuntu, until you know what to type at that command prompt. BT is for advanced users.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.