Thread: mount windows partition from backtrack USB

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default mount windows partition from backtrack USB

after going over the forums for awhile, i decided to make a new post.

Im trying to mount my windows partition from my backtrack usb, i have not found exactly what im looking for on the forum. when doing a fdisk -i command in the terminal it only shows the usb backtrack is running off of. Making new mount points and trying to mount for example /dev/hda1 it says it doesnt exist, any tips or push in the right direction would be helpful,

thanks

List your OS detected partitions using the following, then start checking them till you find the right one.
    Code:
    cat /proc/partitions
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    List your OS detected partitions using the following, then start checking them till you find the right one.
    Code:
    cat /proc/partitions
    thanks for the quick reply, after doing that its showing that sda1 is the largest in numbers of blocks, sda1 is my thumb drive. the only reason i need to access my other partition is for pureh@tes word list if you or anyone has a better suggestion id be fine with that

Quote Originally Posted by bonowantbiddy View Post
    thanks for the quick reply, after doing that its showing that sda1 is the largest in numbers of blocks, sda1 is my thumb drive. the only reason i need to access my other partition is for pureh@tes word list if you or anyone has a better suggestion id be fine with that
    Your partition may not be getting recognised. What about the following, what does it show? It should be showing disk devices and partitions, do you see any disk devices without associated partitions?
    Code:
    ls /dev/?d*
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Your partition may not be getting recognised. What about the following, what does it show? It should be showing disk devices and partitions, do you see any disk devices without associated partitions?
    Code:
    ls /dev/?d*
    ls /dev/?d* shows this result

/dev/fd@ /dev/md0@ /dev/sda /dev/sda1

/dev/md:

/dev/rd:
    0 1 10 11 12 13 14 15 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

ls /dev/?d* shows this result

/dev/fd@ /dev/md0@ /dev/sda /dev/sda1

/dev/md:

/dev/rd:
    0 1 10 11 12 13 14 15 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Odd. Have a look through the dmesg output to see if it mentions any errors.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Don't lose focus or you will never get anywhere with BT.
    Not to discourage you or your efforts in anyway but this is a classic example of why we urge so many people to learn the basics, first.
    Figure out why and how to get the partition mounted and accessible before you move on. The word list isn't going anywhere.
    Follow lupin's advice. Also have a look at the following sites for more info.
    Accessing Windows Files from Linux - www.reallylinux.com *****
    Howto mount windows partition onto ubuntu Linux
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Figure out what your Windows partition is called, e.g. something like /dev/sda77.

Then you do the following:

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/MyWindowsDrive
    sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda77 /mnt/MyWindowsDrive
    If you don't specify -t ntfs-3g then I think the default is to mount it as read-only.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".