Thread: Internet connection drops during NMAP scans

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Internet connection drops during NMAP scans

Well yes as the title suggests I have the problem of my internet connection dropping when I initiate nmap scans on BT3 (USB) and I have no idea what could be causing it.

I am using wireless and understand that from time to time it's normal to drop off but I am almost certain it's actually Nmap causing these drop offs because it happens exactly when the scan starts, any ideas what the problem might be and how I could fix it?

Try playing with the timing. You may be overloading the AP, and a slower scan (e.g. using the "stealth" setting) may alleviate that.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

Okay I will try that, I think you might be onto something there because it sounds like it might be overloading of the AP because it doesn't happen with single scans really, only when I scan a few or a ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixer View Post
    Okay I will try that, I think you might be onto something there because it sounds like it might be overloading of the AP because it doesn't happen with single scans really, only when I scan a few or a ranges.
    The number of ports being scanned may also be an issue. Keeping with popular, known ports may also help, instead of scanning a huge range (like all 65000.)
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

One thing to remember if you're into or going into this work professionally is there are a lot of devices out there that will completely fall over if you do a full high speed port scan against them. So you need to be careful if you're doing these kinds of things where you might potentially cause damage by a device failing due to a port scan.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Okay well the problem is definitely arising from initiating Nmap but it's not just when I do a scan, after the first scan my Internet will drop on and off constantly and it doesn't seem to matter what type of scan it is because I have tried many types now and also limited the number of ports being probed.

It's really weird perhaps someone has some other pointers on what this might be or had this problem, let me know plz!

Wireless assistant also seems to crash with an error reporting a software issue or possible bug? don't know what this could be.

If single scans seem ok, you may have to stick to that. Or start with one port and slowly add one more at a time and see when the connection starts dropping. Then keep it under that threshold. There might not be anything wrong per-say, some APs just can't handle scanning well. So you need to adjust your methods to suit. Have you tried scanning while plugged in via cable ?. It would help to know what AP you are dealing with.