Thread: BackTrack Network Problem

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default BackTrack Network Problem

First Greets to all and if I created this threat wrong please move it. Im noob in forums and can't find threat like this, all I have found was unsuccessful. My problem is about network, when I try to put network on (with command /etc/init.d/networking start) it says something sending 255.255.255.255 dont remember much and then after some time it says NO DHCP RECEIVED or something like that.. Please if this information is useful can you help me guys ?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Welcome to the forums.
    Re-read the rules that you agreed to when you signed up. Also see the "stickied" threads at the top of the newbie section.
    Also don't be afraid to search for yourself both here on the forums and google.
    These things will make your stay more pleasant.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

I think that if you're not connected to any network that is a normal response. Unless you have a ethernet cable connected to your ethernet card. Anyway, just use CLI or WICD to connect to the internet.

I recommend learning how to connect by CLI before trying to use WICD, as I recommend learning anything on CLI before using GUI's apps/automated scripts (like learning how to use the aircrack suite before using gerix-wifi-cracker or similar app/script, or learning ettercap in command line before using it in GUI mode).
    Later you'll be needing that knowledge, and you will be able to solve most of your problems without recurring to the forums, beside the fact that you'll have a better knowledge on the tools you'll be using and what each option does.

Just burned his ISO

@archangel.amael
    Sorry I dont know English good and cant understand much things I'm trying all what I can.
    @Snayler
    Can you post links please?
    Thanks.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Here's a guide for using the commandline to connect to the internet:

Linux Internet Connection - Virjacode
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Here's the easiest way to connect to internet in Backtrack 4

Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    Second code
    Code:
    sudo /usr/bin/start-network
    Then just open Wicid Network Manager and connect.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.