Thread: NSLU2 + 8 GB USB Disk = ?

Default NSLU2 + 8 GB USB Disk = ?

So today I ordered a NSLU2 NAS Device, a 8 GB High Performance USB disk, a Intel 28F128J3A Flash chip and a set of four 32Mx16 x 512 pc133 memory modules (an old but still functional 256 mb stick)

I also ordered a usb hub, a broadcom wifi card, four recharable AAA batteries, and a bluetooth card.

This all told came to 50 dollars (I know people).

~~~~~~

So my current plan is to bump up the SDRAM by piggybacking them together. Then I will replace the flash memory with the intel chip.
    I will then flash it with the newly modified bootloader (covered on the nslu2-linux website).
    I will stress test the new chips.

Once satisfied I plan on installing gentoo using their ARM install guide and the info on the nslu2 website. This will be SUPER minimal containing only enough to boot up into a shell With nothing in it.

I will crack open the bluetooth, hub, wifi and flash disk's case and wire it into the NSLU2. since it will be a 4 port hub, I will be able to wir the last port back into the existing external port.

I will install the drivers for it, and set it to auto mount the flash disk to a certain location via fstab.

Now heres where it gets a bit wierd, im going to install Qemu onto the Gentoo install, then since it supports CPU emulaiton, Ill install Arch linux x86 onto it.

Any questions, comments, suggestions??

I wanted to see if anyone sees any fatal flaw in my plan.

Oh I almost forgot, a batery pack is going to get wired into it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HitThemLow View Post
    Now heres where it gets a bit wierd, im going to install Qemu onto the Gentoo install, then since it supports CPU emulaiton, Ill install Arch linux x86 onto it.
    So the outstanding question is why? You've told us what you're going to do but haven't told us the end goal. I'm sure you "can" do everything you propose but we have no idea why.

Personally I don't see why you'd install linux and then emulate a CPU to run another Linux on top, seems like a waste of limited resources on the surface.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.