Thread: How do I install VMWare Tools in BackTrack?

Just burned his ISO

Default How do I install VMWare Tools in BackTrack?

Im trying to install VMware tools. Im using VMware player. I update VMware tools and then I get a message stating "Mount the virtual CD drive in the guest, launch a terminal, and use tar to uncompress the installer. Then, execute vmware-install.pl to install VMware tools." What do I need to do? Thanks.

Default Re: How do I install VMWare Tools in BackTrack?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_2004 View Post
    Im trying to install VMware tools. Im using VMware player. I update VMware tools and then I get a message stating "Mount the virtual CD drive in the guest, launch a terminal, and use tar to uncompress the installer. Then, execute vmware-install.pl to install VMware tools." What do I need to do? Thanks.
    I'm just going to state the obvious just for sayings sake so no one else will... Do exactly what it says? Mount the CD drive. Launch a terminal. Us the command tar to uncompress. execute the "vmware-install.pl"... I'm just saying, you answered your question in your question...

If you do not know how to do these things, try using the command "man [name of command]" to find out info. For example you can "man nmap" to find the "Man" page on the tool nmap.

First time using linux?... I wanna say yes... but correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm still going to post this link: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad-thread.html
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Gave your thread a better title.

As to your question... are you asking how you go about following those instructions?

Start off by reading the new to Linux sticky thread in the Beginners forum to get some basic Linux skills under your belt.

Then have a look through my recent posts until you find the one talking about how to mount volumes. I have made it within the last few weeks. I will definitely be creating an FAQ for it now, but in the meantime you can track it down and read it where it is.

One of the following will allow you to uncompress the installer, choose the appropriate one depending on how it was compressed in the first place.

For gzip files (.tar.gz)
    Code:
    tar -xvzf <file_name.tar.gz>
    For bzip2 files (.tar.bz2)
    Code:
    tar -xvjf <file_name.tar.bz2>
    Hopefully you can work out the rest on your own. That uses up your quota of spoonfeeding for the year, so make sure you use Google and the forum search feature before asking any follow up questions...
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Where do you get these "tools"

Just burned his ISO

Hi!!!

Just open a new shell and type:

[TABLE]apt-get install open-vm-tools/TABLE]