Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOWTO: Use b43 driver with 14e4:4315 (Broadcom bcm4312 rev 01)

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leroy View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback!
    I installed Ubuntu 9.1 to have the latest kernel -
    We do not support Ubuntu here.
    Spawn I am leaving your thread open since it is a how to and may be beneficial for others.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Good friend of the forums spawn's Avatar

Default module b43 and kernel 2.6.32

git clone Index of /git/b43-tools.git
    cd b43-tools/fwcutter
    make
    cd ..

export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR="/lib/firmware"
    wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources...8.10.4.tar.bz2
    tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4.tar.bz2
    cd broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4/linux
    sudo ../../fwcutter/b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" wl_apsta.o

reboot your system
    "If you aim the gun at your foot and pull the trigger, it's
    UNIX's job to ensure reliable delivery of the bullet to
    where you aimed the gun (in this case, Mr. Foot)."

There has been some headway progress into bcm4315 development as noted here. For users of BT4 with such chipset may want to try either updating their kernel or use compat-wireless package. Note that this is not an easy job and you maybe left on high and dry in terms of support with non-standard (vanilla kernel or otherwise updated wireless package) setup.

Also as with using either newer kernel or compat-wireless package some of the injection capabilities will be lost. Users who updated their kernel may also realise that there are many areas to work on in order to get everything working again.

IHaveNoIdea: Your chipset should be supported by b43. You should avoid using wl at all costs as it is a proprietary binary blob released by broadcom without monitoring capabilities. I suggest you to remove wl, blacklist it, reboot and check to see if you have wlanX interface rather than ethX interface. If you've rebooted and you see b43 is loaded but no wlanX interface, you may have acpi issues.. read into howto disable acpi and give that a shot.

Apart from that bcm4311 is different to bcm4315, if they were the same many users with such chipsets would not be asking for help. bcm4315 I think is a stripped down version of bcm4312 with LP PHY coding which Broadcom never released any info to the public and therefore to the b43 devs.

Leroy: You are using wl driver. I suggest you to remove wl and any traces of it off your computer, blacklist that module and then try again with b43. If no dice or you're coming up with error you may need to either update kernel or compat-wireless so that you may get some support. The use of wl is not ideal as I have mentioned before, Broadcom deliberately removed rfmon functionality out of their own driver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12